Should there be a test or background check before getting being able to get guns

People nowadays are able to walk in, show their ID and boom, you have a gun now. But should we change that so you have to take a test or a background check and not just give guns to random people. The reason being is to show that you can handle it and not use it like a toy and potentially kill someone. Another reason is to tell who is right or wrong for getting a gun. With a background check you might find out they were a potential murderer, or you could find out that someone has a lot of accidents using tools or equipment.

The history of gun control laws starts back in 1938 with the national firearms act of 1934. Congress strengthened the gun control laws after dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in 1968. This law stopped things like mail-order guns and ammo to people who have done felons, or are fugitives, illegal drug users, the mentally ill, and the dishonorably discharged. Another way gun laws were strengthened is when congress passed the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 as an extension of the Gun Control Act of 1968. They did this in honor of James Brady who almost died from a gun wound during an assasination attempt of the president.

According to Gale.com, in 2017 there were 39,773 gun-related deaths. After that year the federal government started putting things in to make getting a gun a little harder and thus, hopefully give guns to people who know what they're doing. Another thing that happened in 2018 was the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school in parkland, Florida had a school shooting in february. After the shooting there were reports of seventeen people killed and seventeen injured. If this happens again in the modern day it could be a lot worse depending on the person.

So here's my questions to you

1. Should we increase the gun rights law by making it harder to get guns?
  2. Could this help eliminate the number of gun related deaths?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think we should do more in depth background checks before we let people purchase a gun. It doesnt even have to be much but guns are falling into the wrong peoples hand too often. I think this could decrease the amount of deaths related to gun violence. 

• I agree that background checks need to be more enforced. It's not the guns that cause the issues, it's the gun owners. There should be background checks issued at gun shows. You should not be able to walk in with a couple hundred dollars and a nonprofessional permit and walk out with a new handgun. Although you have to go through a class and have a background check to get the permit you still need one to leave the show with a new gun.

• I personally think we should increase gun rights laws and make it harder to purchase a gun. I do believe dangerous people can get ahold of guns way to easy and i believe that is why we should be a lot more stricter on gun rights 

• Yes, I believe we should increase the restrictions we have on gun laws. I don't think our gun rights should be strict, but I think that guns are too easily falling into the wrong peoples hands. I strongly believe this could help decrease the number of deaths related to guns. The guns don't kill, the wrong people who got the guns do. It would never end deaths due to guns, because people will find loop holes, but it would help.

• Yes I think that we should increase the gun rights law because going off of what you said people can just walk in and show there id and then have a gun and some times on the rare occasion the gun has been used for harming or thretening someone.

Yes it would help with gun related deaths because if we were able to go back and check out their backround and to see if they have had a bad history with guns or equipment.

• I personally think we should increase gun rights laws and make it harder to purchase a gun. I do think guns can be used wrong when put in the wrong hands, with that I do think it should be harder to purchase a gun. It doesn't even have to be much, it could be a small background check to see if you have or haven't got in trouble with the law before.  I think possibly it could eliminate gun related deaths but not 100% because some people could find a way around it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker