Should The United States Have Universal Healthcare?

According to the CDC, 97 millions of people worldwide can not access quality healthcare services. Healthcare started in the 1700s, but healthcare insurance did begin until the 1920s. In the 1950s the prices of hospital care doubled. This was due to the discovery of new medications and techniques quickly arising. 

Many of the healthcare places people go don't have the personnel and technology requirements needed to meet the needs of the clients. People are denied care due to the high cost of the care needed as they don’t have any healthcare insurance. People also get denied care due to their race, age, and or disability status. People don’t get recommended the needed healthcare services because their insurance won't cover the cost. It could also be that the services they need are too far away. 1 in 10 people in the United States doesn't have health insurance. People that don't have insurance are less likely to get the primary care they need. They also would have to pay out of pocket. Most don’t have enough money to pay out of pocket for the co-pay and medicine needed. People with no insurance are also less likely to get properly evaluated. Hospitals only care if the people have insurance to pay for their visits. They want to make money, and people that have no insurance would cause them to lose money. So the staff will likely have to deny them care due to the fact that they don’t have insurance. 

In my opinion, I think people without health insurance still should be treated as if they have it. If you were broke a bone and needed an orthopedic surgeon the doctor should recommend you to one close. Many of these clinics or hospitals don’t have all the technology or personnel needed to meet patient requirements. They should still recommend you to one close by. I think everyone should be able to receive care if needed. 

Do you think Doctors and or Nurses should deny people care?

Do you think age, disability, or race should have an impact on the care received?

Do you think the United States Should try Universal Healthcare coverage? and why?

Sources:

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/healthcare-access

https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/health-care-access-and-quality

https://www.griffinbenefits.com/blog/history-of-healthcare

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion I dont think that healthcare should be free for everyone. I think that healthcare should be lowered in cost because it has come to the point were even wealthier people cant afford it. I think that if it is free then who is going to be paying for it. 

• I agree with you, the schooling should not be free but I think universal healthcare would help our economy. 

• I think that everyone should get the health care and recovery that they deserve no matter age, disability, or race. I also think that health care should not be free, but the cost should be lowered. If the government is to pay these costs, where would the money come from? The US is already Billions of dollars in debt, so where is this money going to come from?

• I agree with you, everyone who needs care should be able to receive it. I think the cost of schooling for healthcare should be lowered some but it should not be free.

• I think that everyone should receive the care they need no matter age, disability or race. In Germany, everyone has a free and public healthcare. So if you're sick or broke a bone or something else, you will get the care you need for free. Basically, Germany has an universal healthcare system. And I really support that kind of system.  

• I agree with you, I think nobody should ever be denied care. I think the universal heathcare would benifit the United States in many ways.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker