Should The NCAA Do Something About Mental Health?

In recent years there has been a significant increase in college student-athletes reporting mental health issues. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, the rates of mental exhaustion, anxiety, and depression have more than doubled compared to the pre-pandemic rates. Over 30% of female and male athletes have disclosed facing mental health problems. Of that percentage, only 10% of those people receive the help they desperately need. This uprising issue has resulted in 33% of collegiate athletes quitting their sport every year due to mental exhaustion. In the span of just two months in 2022,  five athletes committed suicide from the mental health problems they were facing.

Why and how is this problem escalating so quickly, is the question many are asking. Student-athletes are feeling the intense pressure to perform not only athletically but academically as well. The NCAA has a rule that if your sport is not in season a coach can't spend more than 20 hours a week on athletically related activities. Although the NCAA recently did a survey and 70% of athletes said they spent as much time on sports in the offseason as they did during their season. This is a problem because this is one of the reasons many athletes are feeling burnout within their sport. This burnout feeling might seem small, but it can lead to a much bigger problem. With such a huge time commitment required by these athletes, coaches need to worry about their social and emotional status outside of the sport. The NCAA has tried to require a sports physiologist that is available for all athletes at all colleges among all three divisions. This is a requirement that is still a work in progress, but is it enough?

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/mental-health/ncaa-tackling-mental-health/

https://www.psycom.net/student-mental-health/college-athletes-how-to-help

Is required a sports psychologist at every college enough?

If not, what else could be offered for these athletes?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that it is the NCAA's responsibility to take care of the player's mental health. I think that the players should do that on their own. I think that blaming the NCAA for poor mental health is not right. I do not think that it is the NCAA's fault for poor mental health.

• I think that every team should have a phycologist or mentor. I feel like players have a lot of stress on them with sports and school. Balacing both can be hard for students and can harm their health. I also think that fans need to take pressure off of them. 

• I think the athletes should have some sort of mentor on hand at all times. Some fans also need to take pressure off of them also. Many people also don't have a good relationship with Christ and don't have a deep faith which can be a problem as well. 

• I agree with you that athletes need some one to talk to at all times, just so their mental health doesn't get super bad. I also agree that  fans need to take pressure off them because at the end of the day, its just a game and it doesn't matter enough for peoples mental health to get that bad.

• I think that there should be more done for the mental health of athletes. In my opinion, having a sports psychologist is a good idea. This way, the athletes have someone to reach out to if they aren't feel well. I think we will see in the future if that is enough.

• I still don't think that a sports psychologist would be the best things for student-athletes, but it may help. This world has such high expectations for people to perform well in the classroom and also to do well in sports. I don't really know what we can do to help with this, but an action has to be taken soon.

• I think that more needs to be done to help college athletes with their mental help. I think that having a sports psychologist would definetly help because attending classes and keeping up on your education while competing in sports at a high level can be very hard on athletes. 

• I agree with you, I think having more than one sports psychologist for these college athletes would be a huge benefit for them. Plus getting assignments done on time while going to class while being a full-time athlete, can be a lot for a person. 

• I think that there should be a sports psychologist for every team, I think that NCAA sports are very hard on the athletes and are very draining. Having to balance a very intense sport and school is very hard on kids. I think that there should be a psychologist available for any and everyone. 

• I agree with you, I think that having to balance being a full-time athlete and student at the same time can get very challenging and mentally/physically exhausting over time. I think that more psychologists should be offered on campus for these athletes and students.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker