Do you think the military should be allowed to use enhanced interrogation techniques? 

There are many mixed emotions on this topic, many think yes, although there are still a good amount who think no. What are some reasons they would need to use these techniques? 

In many cases this technique would be necessary due to a bomb threat, or a threat of an attack. The first time enhanced interrogation techniques were known to be used was around March - April 2002, when Abu Zubaydah was captured. After this event happened they kept him in isolation for 47 days, then used the waterboarding technique. If you didn’t know, this technique is used to simulate drowning. These techniques are used to get information out of people, but it doesn’t always work out. 

In my opinion to be completely honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I think this because yes in some cases this is the only way you can get the information you need, but there are also many different outcomes that could happen.

Do you think it's safe to use these techniques? 

How do you feel about these techniques?

Should they be allowed? Why or why not?

Sources:

https://irp.fas.org/congress/2014_rpt/ssci-rdi-timeline.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the military should be able to use this method. I think if it keeps us safe, then yes. If it becomes to dangerous and risky then try to change the method your using. If they are killing way to many innocent people on accident and not killing or acheving what they are trying to do then they need to stop what they are doing and changing what they are trying to do. All in all, I think that if they are achiving their main goal, then it should be ok.

• I agree, as long as their doing it safely and not killing many innocent people then yes it should be allowed. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree with you, I think they should be very careful when doing this, and not using as a first base type thing.

• I do think it is safe as long as whoever is using it does not abuse the power and do not so good things with it. It could help our country get that step ahead of other countrys. It would be hard to do and not have other countrys get mad. 

• I think the milliatary should do whatever techniques nessecsary to gain information.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker