Should the legal age to drive be lowered to 14?

First, the biggest reason Iowa doesn’t lower the legal age to drive is because of all the safety concers people have with teens. They believe that once you hit age 16 you are closer to being an adult. Iowans believe that two years of driving on one route “school permit” is a good start for teenagers who are starting to drive. In my opion if you pass drivers ed and get a school permit, you should be able to drive wherever you want. If they trust you to drive to school, they should let you drive wherever. Fourteen year olds are more than responsible enough to drive if they passed drivers ed. 

Second, some people think that the legal driving age should stay the same, even go up to eighteen. People don’t believe that teenagers should be driving on their own, until they are an adult. Older people wanted to not have teenagers be able to drive because they don’t want to get hit. In my opion older people shouldn’t be able to drive once they hit a certain age. Not saying that old people shouldn’t drive but the roads are very dangerous for older people. Research shows that teenagers are a huge cause of most accidents on the road. 

Should the driving age be lowered? Why?

Do you drive wherever on a learners permit?

If so, what age should it be lowered to?

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Benefits-Of-Lowering-The-Driving-Age-Essay-F3XAM3FBG5PV

https://www.keepdriving.com/why-driving-age-should-not-be-lowered/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• the driving age is fine as is and making it lower would put kids that don't know any better behind the wheel of something that could kill them and others

• I think that the driving age is fine as is. I believe that if we lowered it, there would be too many immature drivers on the road. I also believe that it's good to get a year or two of experience before you're given more freedom of a license. 

• I think that the legal driving age should be lowered to 15 instead of 14. I think this because students do still need a school permit for a little while to get used to driving. But the age should be lowered to 15 because it would allow students to drive to work and not have to worry about losing their licsense when trying to make money.

• I think the legal driving age should be 15 as Bryce said. I have been driving anywhere I've wanted for a couple years now but being around farm equipment and running it has also helped. Kids need at least when year of "practice" in my opinion.

• I think it should stay at 16 because if you were to  change it to 14 that means kids younger would have to start learning how to drive and they would mostlikly be driving on the road. i think that 16 is a good age because like you said we are closer to be an adult.

• I think 14 should still be a school permit. I think 15-16 is the perfect age for a real permit. I think that 14 year olds arent responisble enough to be bale to drive anywhere they want, they should have restrictions. I think 15 is the perfect age because that is when you start having more sports and more places to go.

• I think that it should be at least 15. I think that 15 is good year to do cause you can start to practice and have more experience and just do better. So think that 15 years old is good age to start and not 14 .

• I think that the drivers age should be 15. Get one year under your belt to learn and everything. It helps your parnets so much when you can drive and it save you time as well. Don't have to wait on them or anything being able to drive is one of the best things ever. 

• I agree with the driving age being 15.

• I don't think that the legal driving age should be lowered to 14, but possibly to 15 years old. I think that you should have to drive for at least a year before you are allowed to drive everywhere on your own. But, I don't really think that 16 years old is too unfair for people to start driving.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker