Should the death penalty be legal?

The death penalty is a punishment of execution for individuals committing capital crimes. Overall, 58.8 percent of respondents are in favor of capital punishment. 30.8 percent opposed, and 10.4 percent were undecided. 

Proponents of the death penalty believe it should stay legal for those convicted of serious crimes. Supporters of the death penalty strongly agree that it’s a deserved punishment for horrible crimes, as well as a deterrent to capital crimes. Further arguments state it provides closure to families of a victim, by receiving justice that fits the crime in order. Lastly, the death penalty helps ease the overpopulation in prisons. Ensuring that less amount of tax payers' money goes towards individuals that acted against society in a violent way. 

Opponents of the death penalty believe it is cruel and immortal, believing a human's life is valuable and everyone has the right to live. Human rights activists argue that the death penalty is a form of revenge, and revenge is not necessarily about social justice. According to the activists, the death penalty discriminates against minorities and the poor. Claiming these groups of people are more likely to be sentenced to death. Also stating, there is no proof death penalty has a strong deterrent effect. Objectors stated it costs more money to execute a prisoner, rather than keeping them in a jail cell. 

I believe the death penalty should stay legal. Those offenders who get sentenced to death had done something extreme to get that punishment. Victims' families should get the justice they believe they deserve. 

Do you think the death penalty should be legal? 

Do you think specific groups are targeted?

https://netivist.org/debate/death-penalty-pros-and-cons

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, people who do horrible things should have horrible consequences. 

• I think it should be legal for some criminals like rapists then they should get the death penalty and unforgiving murderers should get the death penalty they get to have a taste of their own medicine. they get to know the pain they caused others.

• I feel it should be legal. Some criminals are not afraid of going to jail. I feel the death penalty is a good insentive for them to not murder people. I feel people who murder people without a good reason deserve it. They should be given the same punishment as there victims. 

• I agree with you, there should be an extreme punishment for those prisoners who aren't afraid of prison/jail. 

• Personally, I don't think that the death penalty should be legal. I think that having to spend an entire life in prison is worse than just dying, cause if you are killed, then you are put out of your misery. I also don't think that killing someone is the right solution, no matter how bad of a person they are.

• I disagree with you, some prisoners have killed innocent people without a reason. Sitting life in prison for those types of people isn't going to do anything.

• Yes, I think that the death penalty should be legal. I think they should have good evidence and be 100% sure they are guilty. I think that if you kill a person brutally and for no reason, they should go through the same thing. I do not think that specific groups are targeted. 

• I don't think specific groups are targeted but I think if they are going to give someone the death penalty they should really look into it. You are ending their life and they have people that love them to. Before they do make sure it was really them because that'd be bad if they execute them and then later found innocent.

• I agree with you, the death penalty should only be used against those who are guilty of a horrible crime. 

• I have thought about this before and I am still not sure what I think. I understand both sides. Another thing to consider is should people get the death penalty because then it will happen that innocent people get death, no matter what there will always be innocent people who are put in jail. I think that if there are groups targeted it could also be partly that they commit more crimes.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker