Should test retakes be allowed?

Some students can be great students and get their work done but be bad test takers. Should that one test be the reason their grade goes down tremendously? Some teachers allow test retakes and some are completely against it. But letting kids able to retake a test could help their grades and help them understand the material.

Some people say that allowing retakes makes the kids not really care about the first test and not try their hardest if they know they are able to retake the test. If students know that they can retake it why would they study now when they could study later since they have the option to retake it? They say that they should be prepared the first time they take the test and not get the option to retake it.  This also puts the teacher with more work. They have to not only make more tests but spend time grading the second test.

There are also people that are for it. Some students are just not good at taking tests. Deadlines and tests give anxiety to some students and can cause them not to do good on the test. Not all students would take advantage of the retakes and they wouldn't need it. But if they had a bad test then it would be there for their benefit. Some teachers allow retakes but don't make it that easy to retake the test. There are forms to fill out and work to do in order to retake the test, and some teachers only allow so many retakes so kids aren't using it to their advantage. There are also some teachers that average out your score. So they take your first test and your second test and base your grade on that.

I think that retakes should be an option. Even straight-A students can have a bad test and use the retake so it doesn't bring down their grade. I think that their are definitely kids that would abuse this and use it on every test. Teachers could do something about that if it was happening. I think the retest forms and the work you do with them are a good idea so it causes the kid to do some work before they take the second test and help them learn the material for the test.

Do you think that kids should be able to retake tests?

If so, should they be able to retake every test, or should there be a limit?

https://www.edweek.org/education/opinion-why-should-we-allow-students-to-retake-assessments/2020/07 

https://www.edutopia.org/article/case-not-allowing-test-retakes/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, there could be a certain percentage to be able to retake it.

• I think being able to retake tests is a great idea, to an extent. If you were aloud to retake every test, then I think some students would take too much advantage of it. I believe they would forget to study, or not study enough, and they would fail on purpouse just to retake it. If there were rules about it, I think it would be a great idea. Some students aren't good test takers, and some teachers don't give enough time for those students, so it wouldn't be terrible for those students. 

• I agree I don't think they should be able to retake every single test but a couple test a semester would help students a lot.

• personally i think tests should be a one and done thing. if you fail then you didnt learn anything and should have to live with that consequence. i also belive that there should be a limit on how many times one should be able to retake a test that limit should be just once.

• In my personal opinion, I do believe that students should have the ability to take a retake on a test that they preformed poorly on. Although, I do think that at some point they should have to just take the score they recieved on the first try if they retake every single test. 

• I think that students should be able to retake tests or quizzes. If they have the option to retake tests, I believe that there should be some or a limited amount of test retakes per class. I think that it should restart the count each quarter or semester.

• I think kids should be able to take retest because kids have good and bad days. That person could of had a bad day and couldn't think. I think that its up to the teacher of how many test you can retake because if you have to many then you can mess up on it on purpose and see how hard it will be and then retake it to do better.

• I agree, I think that it should be up to the teacher on how many times they can take it.

• Yes, I think kids should be able to retake a test, some people have off days or didn't have enough time to study so they fail a test. I don't think that you should only get one try on a test and if you fail then thats just how it is, it can take a straight A students grade down by a lot. Even if you're at a C then getting an F on a test could make you be failing completley. Retakes are a great second chance and sometimes its not the students fault, it could be the teachers fault. Maybe the teacher didnt teach the subject that well and everyone is failing the test. Thats not fair to the students and everyone should get to retake. Although, I think there should be a limit, if you let every test have a retake then every student might just depend on the retake and extra day to study. So I think we should defiantly limit the amount of tests that can have retakes. The harder tests should have retakes but the easier ones maybe shouldn't.

• In my opinion, kids should be able to retake tests. I like what you said about how even straight-A students can have an off test. This would allow them to keep their GPA and grades at what they like them at. Some people are just generally not good test takers. They shouldn't be punished for this, because in the real world you are more hands on and your knowledge is not tested by pencil paper tests.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker