Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont know why mass would decide if they should wear a seatbelt or not. No matter how big you are you can still get hurt or hurt someone else in the vehicle while getting in a crash.

• I think that everybody should be required to wear seatbelts. If something keeps you safe and stops you from dying, why would you not use it. If your reasoning is that seatbealts are uncomfortable, there are ways around it. You can move your seat or put something soft on the seatbelt to stop it from rubbing against your neck. 

• I think we need to wear seat belts if we sit in the font seat. I also think you souldnt get a ticket for not wearing the seat belt becasue it is at your own risk. I dont think teens need to wear seat belts in the back seat becasue it should be their chosie.

• I disagree because even in the back seat you can still get hurt. If your sitting in the middle in the back you can fly through the windshield just like in the front. 

• I think that everyone should have to wear seatbelts, When others in the car with you don't put on their seatbelt they become a missile. Why should I get hurt or even die because someone else doesn't want to use a seatbelt? 

• I think that everyone needs to wear a seatbelt. It's dumb to think that people don't need one because it's a "nuesance" when it is only to protect yourself. no mater what type of car you are in you need a seatbelt because the roads everyone drives on are unpredictable.

• Yes I agree someone else can be driving bad and hit you and that is out of your control. 

• I think teens should have to wear seatbelts. Accidents happen all the time. Although a lot of teens dont wear their seatbelt now, I think we should mainly because it was made a law for a reason. Same with adults, I think they should also be required to wear their seatbelts. 

• Yes I agree most of the time teens don't wear their seatbelts in the backseat. People think that they will be fine and don't care but if yuo get in a crash it will save you.

• I think that we should be required to wear seatbelts because it's for our safety. You never know when a car crash is going to happen. WIthout your seatbelts there is a bigger chance of you dying than if you are wearing the sealbelts.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker