Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that if you are 18 you shouldn't wear a seatbelt if you are sitting in the backseat. But I think that you should be wearing a seatbelt if you are sitting up front and most deaths are from teens not wearing a seatbelt. If you are 18 and sitting in the backseat then I think you shouldn't wear a seatbelt in the back.

• What's the difference of a 17 year old getting in a crash and an 18 yearold. Just because they are 18 doesn't mean that they will survive.

• I think that if you are in the back seat you should not have to wear a seatbelt because if you are eighteen years old you don't have to wear one legally. If you are 18 years old you do not have to wear a seat belt in the back seat so if they say you don't have to wear one if you are 15 it would not bother me.

• Yes it is a law already but there's not a less of a chance for an adult to get hurt or die compaired to a teenager. 

• I think that it should be required for everyone, not only teens, to wear a seatbelt. Seatbelts aren't going to save everyone's life and bring the driving fatality rate to 0%, but they do significantly help. Teenagers aren't the brightest and some of them are very reckless drivers, so seatbelts will help.

• I think that seat belts should be required for everyone. Seat belts are important, especially for teens. I always feel better if people in my car are wearing seat belts. It's really not that big of a deal either, a little thing like that can be the difference between life and death.

• Yes I agree it's always nice to know that everyone you are driving with are safe. 

• I think that seat belts should be required for all ages. Seatbelts are adjustable so they can fit around anyone. Seatbelts should be worn because they keep you from flying around the vehicle in an accident. Just because you're a reasonable adult doesn't mean you should not be wearing a seatbelt. 

• Yes I agree because an adult has the same chance of getting hurt as we do. But since they are an adult and decide not to I suppose they can blaim it on their decisions.

• I think that seatbelts should be required for everyone, especially teens. They can get a cover or pad to help if someone is uncomfortable. There is no reason someone should not wear a seatbelt because it's uncomfortable. People die all the time due to car crashes, with seatbelts on. That makes it even more important to wear one. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker