Should teens be able to go on birth control?

Birth control is an oral contraceptive drug that women all over the world take. It prevents pregnancy and helps with other things women struggle with.. However many don't take  birth control. Some parents do not allow their children to take it. I had many positives and negatives.

To start, there are many disadvantages to birth control. For example about 9 out of 100 people taking combination birth control pills will get pregnant in the first year of use. Taking the pill can cause birth defects, headaches, nausea, bloating, increased blood pressure and so much more. People also have to take the pill everyday at the same time, otherwise it will not work. Some people  believe that birth control promotes “sexual behaviors.” Another negative is the longer you take birth control the harder it is for you to get pregnant in the future. 

Birth Control  also has positives. Birth control raises the odds of getting some cancers,and  lowers other cancers. Studies show that individuals who take the pill have 30%-50% lower risk of ovarian cancer than others. The longer you take the pill the less likely you get this cancer. Another positive is obviously it prevents pregnancy and helps with acne, cramps, menstrual cycle, etc. The longer you take the pill the less chance to get pregnant later on in life. 

In conclusion, birth control has many positives and negatives. I believe that teens should be able to go on birth control. It helps with many things. 

Would you let your teenage girl go on birth control pills? 

Do you think birth control pills are useful or not useful? 

How old should you be to get on birth control? 

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-pregnancy

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/other-benefits-birth-control

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/birth-control-pill/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-birth-control-pill

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that birth control is not really a bad thing and it helps prevent teen pregnancy and other problems some people might face like acne. I think that I wouldn't want my kid on it at too young of an age, and I would set a certain age that they would have to be to be on it.

• i agree, i think around 14 even closer to  16 is a good age

• I think birth control pills are useful most of the time. You should be at least 13 years old when you start using birth control. I would let my teenage girl use birth control pills, only if she wanted to be put on them.

• i agree, but if my kid didnt have a reason to be put on it then no i wouldnt just let her go on it

• I personally think that teenage girls should have the option to go on birth control, because it can be helpful for many reasons, although they have many side effects. For instance, they can help with painful cramps, irregular periods, and acne. Although I think you should be at least fourteen years of age before you go on birth control. 

• i agree, birth contorl helps a lot of things and 14 is a good age 

• I'm not sure if I would let my teen girl go on birth control I think that she would have to present me with good reasons to because with all the cons I think it is not worth it. I do think that they can be useful when used correctly. I think that the age is dependent on the person and if they have good reasons to and the pros are higher than the cons then they should take it.

• i think if your chilld is having bad cramps to wear shes screaming, or her acne is bad where shes getting bullied, or even if shes with a boy and needs more protection that she should go on birth contol. it helps with lots of other things and it doesnt hurt to talk to their doctor about it either

• I agree that teenagers should be allowed to use birth control. I also believe that birth control education is a must for young people. There is a variety of reasons to use birth control. The alternative would be painful-periods or child-pregnancy. I don't think there is a specific age someone should be allowed to use birth control.

• i agree, i think you should at least be 13/14 and we should get a class about it also

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker