Should teens be able to go on birth control?

Birth control is an oral contraceptive drug that women all over the world take. It prevents pregnancy and helps with other things women struggle with.. However many don't take  birth control. Some parents do not allow their children to take it. I had many positives and negatives.

To start, there are many disadvantages to birth control. For example about 9 out of 100 people taking combination birth control pills will get pregnant in the first year of use. Taking the pill can cause birth defects, headaches, nausea, bloating, increased blood pressure and so much more. People also have to take the pill everyday at the same time, otherwise it will not work. Some people  believe that birth control promotes “sexual behaviors.” Another negative is the longer you take birth control the harder it is for you to get pregnant in the future. 

Birth Control  also has positives. Birth control raises the odds of getting some cancers,and  lowers other cancers. Studies show that individuals who take the pill have 30%-50% lower risk of ovarian cancer than others. The longer you take the pill the less likely you get this cancer. Another positive is obviously it prevents pregnancy and helps with acne, cramps, menstrual cycle, etc. The longer you take the pill the less chance to get pregnant later on in life. 

In conclusion, birth control has many positives and negatives. I believe that teens should be able to go on birth control. It helps with many things. 

Would you let your teenage girl go on birth control pills? 

Do you think birth control pills are useful or not useful? 

How old should you be to get on birth control? 

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/adolescent-pregnancy

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/other-benefits-birth-control

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/birth-control-pill/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-birth-control-pill

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am a man so I will never understand how painful cramps and stuff like that are. However, my personal belief is that teens shouldn't be able to take birth control. Even though it may help, I don't believe in it because taking things like this can cause prevention of getting pregnant, which is against the bible.

• i dissagree, i think lots of things can prevent pregancy. After the Anglican Church passed a resolution in favor of birth control in 1930 Lambeth Conference, other Protestant denominations began to relax their prohibitions as well. 99% of catholics use birth control, birth control has many advantages and helps with lots of cancers and other things. long-term use of birth control pills should not impact your ability to get pregnant. so therefore you are wrong. 

• I think that any one should be able to get on birth control. I think being able to take these pills will prevent a lot of things. It also helps regulate periods and  it can help with your acle. 

• i agree, it helps with lots of things

• Personally I think that teens should be able to get birth control. Not only does birthcontrol help regulate your periods, but it can help with your acne. Many girls get it because their periods are very irregular. Birth control, of course, also helps avoiding pregnancy.

• i agree, lots of people get it for their period and some for safe sex

• Personally I do believe that teens should be able to access birth control, as long as they use it saftly and resonsible. It can help prevent pregnacy, as well as other problems. Sometimes it does not work and I think people should talk to their doctors about it.

• when it doesnt work then you need a stronger dose or differnet kind

• If I had a teenage girl and she wanted to go on birth control I would let her. It also kind of depends what the birth control is for because some people are on it to help with their periods. I think birth control pills are definetly very useful for lots of different people. You should be at least 13 or 14 to be on it but maybe earlier for the people that use it for their periods. 

• i agree, i think you should be at least 13 if not 14

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker