Should teachers be aloud to have weapons

One of the first ever recorded school shootings was near Greencastle, Pennsylvania on July 26, 1764. Four people broke into a schoolhouse and opened fire on the twelve kids and one teacher inside. Only two kids survived that incident. The most recent school shooting was on May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas. Salvador Ramos got into the school and barricaded himself in a classroom and continued to shoot at over twenty-five people. Twenty-one of which died, two teachers and nineteen students. One of the people he shot was his own grandmother who was working as a teacher's aide at the time. She got released from the hospital after a month due to a gunshot to the face. A total of 376 law enforcement officers showed up at the school just to wait for over an hour to enter the school because of no leadership. It costs an average of 200 to 600 for a cheap quality self-defense handgun and it costs an average of 100 dollars for a conceal and carry class. It only costs 900 dollars for a teacher to be certified to carry a gun with them. Yes, 900 dollars might be a lot of money for small schools but in my opinion, a kid's life is worth way more than 900 dollars. If one of those two teachers killed by Salvador would have had a gun they might have been able to stop him from killing more people. Yes the teacher might have not been able to access the gun or get killed before getting a shot out of it. But that would allow the students access to the gun after the shooter goes away so the kids could have a chance to defend themselves. In my opinion, some certified teachers should be allowed to carry weapons on school grounds. I personally would feel safer knowing that there is someone on school property that is equipped with the resources to keep me and other students safe.

Do you believe that teachers should be allowed to carry weapons?

Would you trust a teacher to carry a weapon around you and your peers?

Sources 

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/17/law-enforcement-failure-uvalde-shooting-investigation/

https://www.concealedcarryclass.net/how-much-does-a-concealed-carry-class-cost/

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-a-typical-gun-cost-with-examples/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that it should be kept hidden from students 

• I think that teachers should be able to carry wepons, as long as students are not able to reach or get to them. The teacher would probabally need trainging and background checks. I also think it would limit shooting because, the shooter entering the school would know that the teachers have wepons with them.

• I agree that the teachers should have to go through extra classes in order to carry a gun

• I do believe that some teachers should be able to carry weapons on them during school. They would obviously need background checks and other things to make sure that they don't end up shooting the school. I would trust teachers to have guns on them as long as they are not brandishing them and pointing them around throughout the halls.

• I think if they were to give teachers firearms the teachers should have to take classes on gun safty. I also think they shouldnt give it to every teacher becasue there was a school where the teacher held all the kids captive in his class with a gun. If teachers were to get firearms they would have to keep them in a hidden safe to make sure kids dont get ahold of it. 

• I believe that It could be a good idea for teachers to carry weapons as long as they know how to handle a loaded firearm at all times.  There could also be flaws to this correction of school shootings.  This may lead to more school shootings by staff and administraition.  This could also lead to unenrollment in the schools because the kids feel unsafe around firearms.

• I think that only certain teachers should be aloud to have weapons, they would have to have certain qualifications for it and they would need to have it locked in there class somehwere very secure.

• I agree that they should go through training and they should keep it in a safe location.

• I do believe teachers should be able to carry weapons because there is a lot of school shooting.I think schools would be more safe because the teachers have guns and can protect the students.  

• Teachers should be allowed to carry weapons. How else can they defend themselves and their classroom in the midst of gunfire or an intruder? They need to have a way to fight back and save lives. Atleast give them a knife, it could help immensly. I hope that the government atleast considers this. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker