Should teachers be aloud to have weapons

One of the first ever recorded school shootings was near Greencastle, Pennsylvania on July 26, 1764. Four people broke into a schoolhouse and opened fire on the twelve kids and one teacher inside. Only two kids survived that incident. The most recent school shooting was on May 24, 2022, in Uvalde, Texas. Salvador Ramos got into the school and barricaded himself in a classroom and continued to shoot at over twenty-five people. Twenty-one of which died, two teachers and nineteen students. One of the people he shot was his own grandmother who was working as a teacher's aide at the time. She got released from the hospital after a month due to a gunshot to the face. A total of 376 law enforcement officers showed up at the school just to wait for over an hour to enter the school because of no leadership. It costs an average of 200 to 600 for a cheap quality self-defense handgun and it costs an average of 100 dollars for a conceal and carry class. It only costs 900 dollars for a teacher to be certified to carry a gun with them. Yes, 900 dollars might be a lot of money for small schools but in my opinion, a kid's life is worth way more than 900 dollars. If one of those two teachers killed by Salvador would have had a gun they might have been able to stop him from killing more people. Yes the teacher might have not been able to access the gun or get killed before getting a shot out of it. But that would allow the students access to the gun after the shooter goes away so the kids could have a chance to defend themselves. In my opinion, some certified teachers should be allowed to carry weapons on school grounds. I personally would feel safer knowing that there is someone on school property that is equipped with the resources to keep me and other students safe.

Do you believe that teachers should be allowed to carry weapons?

Would you trust a teacher to carry a weapon around you and your peers?

Sources 

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/17/law-enforcement-failure-uvalde-shooting-investigation/

https://www.concealedcarryclass.net/how-much-does-a-concealed-carry-class-cost/

https://survivalfreedom.com/how-much-does-a-typical-gun-cost-with-examples/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that if the teachers had a test to get there gun then it would be an ok idea. I personally would not trust all of the teachers to have a gun at school. I also think that if a teacher gets a gun will it just be sitting in there desk or will the have the gun in a miny safe or have a triger safe guard on it.

• I think that teachers should be responsible enough to carry a weapon. I think the teachers should go through a class to be able to carry a weapon so they know when and how to use it.  But I also think they should have the choice to carry weapons, some might not feel safe with them in their rooms. 

• I agree that teachers should be given a choice on weather or not they want one in their room

• I think that it could be the teacher's choice. If the teachers feel comfortable with having a gun then it would be beneficial. There are obviously pros and cons to this. For example, if a kid were to possibly get the gun out of the teacher's possession it would be bad. But, if there was a school shooter then the teacher could possibly stop the shooter. Some teachers would not want that responsibility on them of having to possibly stop a shooter. I think that they would have to go through a lot of training and have it locked up very securely. 

• I do not aprove of teachers being able to carry weapons because there could be some kids that get very mad and try to take the gun from the teacher and use it forcefully on the other students in the school and I would never trust a teacher to carry a weapon in school because there could be one person that the teacher hated and could possibly kill that person.

• I believe that if a teacher is responsible enough to learn how to use a gun, that they should be allowed to use it as self defense if necessary. I personally feel that everyone has a right to self defense by whatever means, especially in the case of an active shooter. If a gun is needed to protect themseleves and other students at school, then I think that every teacher should have a secure spot for one in their classroom. 

• I beleive that some teachers but not all teachers should be aloud to be carrying weapons. There are many things that can go wrong and right when a teacher carrys.  I would feel safe with teachers carrying but they may have to have proof that they took classes to use it properly.

• I do not believe that teachers should be permitted to carry weapons within school grounds. Anything could happen at any time and the wrong person could get ahold of it. Not only that, but that is very dangerous in general. Accidents happen and anybody could be seriously injured because of it. There are many teachers that I would trust with a weapon around me, but that doesn't mean I want them to have one. 

• I don't think teachers should be allowed to carry a weapong on them on school property. Guns cause a lot more damage than they do cause good. I  wouldn't trust a teacher carrying a gun. I just dont think it would be the best since humans can be very unpredictable. A kid at school could just snap and take that gun and kill if they truly wanted to. The only teacher I would trust would be a schools resource officer. Since they go through more extensive classes. 

• I honestly don't know what way im leaning towards with this topic. There are both downsides and goodsides of this topic. I mean i believe it might help but then what do we do when a student is able to gain access to that gun. Like i said before this topic is pretty iffy with me. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker