Should teachers be allowed to dress how they want?

Within schools, the requirements for the dress code is much stricter for teachers than the students. Students can wear jeans, shorts, sweats, and really anything within the restrictions. Teachers must dress themselves nicely and present themselves in a formal way everyday. The question that I now think about is, is it right to make them dress up every day?

There are several reasons that people believe teachers should dress up every day, but on the other hand, some other people find it unfair, and think it isn’t right to force them to dress up when students don't have to. The pros to having a teaching dress up professionally everyday is the look it portrays. Students and even other guests who see teachers should be impressed and pleased with the looks of the teachers attire. Some would almost find it inappropriate to allow teachers to dress in sweats, or jeans every day. Another pro to having teachers look professional daily is the way a class responds. A classroom is more likely to respond to a teacher who is well dressed and looks their act rather than a teacher who almost looks bummish. 

Those who would disagree would have an argument as such. Some feel that the more comfortable a teacher is, the better the teaching overall would be. Some feel that a teacher could have a better effect on students depending on how comfortable they are feeling. Other would also claim that students would not even notice the attire of a teacher. They say it isn’t a big deal and teachers should be able to be happy and comfortable just like the students are. 

Overall it is a good debate, and has some sides to each argument. But, I personally think that teachers should still have to dress professionally. I think that they are getting paid to go and teach and the least they can do is decently dress up. Besides, a nice polo and some pants are not what I would consider super fancy either. I think the jeans on Friday is a great bonus, and that should be kept within the school. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that teachers shouldn't have a very strict dress code. You still learn the same amount whether or not your teacher is wearing really nice clothes versus jeans and a tshirt. Teachers would also have more time to grade and plan for their lessons if thdey don't have to pick out a professional outfit everyday.

• I think a teachers dress code should have less regulations. I do not think teachers should wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt because it is seen as unprofessional. However, I think teachers should be able to wear jeans any day of the week if they would like to.

• I somewhat agree. It should be a little less strict but they still do need to look nice. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker