Should students have to take a foreign language class?

Should students have to take a foreign language class? 

The debate between students having to take a foreign language class has been going on for long periods of time. Now that there are more classes and activities you can take, do we really need a foreign language one? 

There are many benefits coming from taking this class, For example you could put it on a job application to use it towards college. It can help students achieve more in school. Learning a second language also helps the brain focus better and can help you in different departments. It also gives you an opportunity to see how other native people talk and communicate with their peers vs how we do with ours.

However, there are a few downsides to taking a foreign language class. It might be too difficult for your brain to understand, causing more stress on you and your schoolwork. The homework or studying could take time out of your day to focus on other bigger opportunities, it could not be needed in your future, or you could simply just lose motivation to do it midway through and fail the class overall. 

If I had to choose between taking a foregion language class or not I would choose taking one. Then you would have it to put on your applications and it could help you in situations you might not expect. It would also give you an opportunity to make friends with your peers and branch you into hobbies. 

Would you take a foreign language class?

Do you think it should be mandatory? 

https://www.studyfrenchspanish.com/why-not-learn-foreign-languages/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would take a foreign language class because if could help you in a business setting. Just knowing a small amount of words can help you. I don't think that it should be mandatory because then students would just want to get it over with and not care about the class. I think if you let students who want to take it, then they'll try to grasp the knowledge more.

• I think that foreign language classes are beneficial if the students want to learn the language, however, they are not for everyone. If a student would not like to go to college after high school, or is going to pursue an occupation they will not need a foreign language in, they shouldn't be forced to take those classes.

• For some kids if is hard to learn a diffrent language and for others not so much. I believe it should be your choice if you take a forein language and i dont think you should have to have 3 years of foreign language to go to a good 4 year collage. 

• I agree schools shouldn't make it a class you have  to take. Student should take it if/when they feel ready. I do however agree with that it would be easier to get into a 4 year college with taking a foreign language class. 

• I would take foreign language classes because it does help people in the future and like you said it could help with getting a job or getting into colleges but i don't think it should be mandatory because some people might farm and not even need it for there future.

• I would take a couple years of a foreign language class, because it will help you with a career and help you talk with some of your friends. I think that it should not be mandatory because I have some friends who have to take it and can't pass it and it just makes there GPA go down.

• I would take a foreign language class because I think it is fun to learn new things and a new languge would make me bilangual. I do not think it should be mandatory, however, I think that it should be reccomened as much as possible just not required.

• I agree with this, It should be required but very much encouraged because it can help student see how other students learn and talk. I think teacher should push student to take a class like this but it again should not be required.

• I think that taking a foreign language class should be up to the student. If that person thinks that they will never benefit from taking a foreign language class they should not be forced into it. If they need that skill later on in life they will learn from their mistake. I however do encourage people to take a foreign language class because it will be something that you can apply to your life in a daily manner. 

• I think that taking a foreign language is beneficial, but for some people it is very difficult. Learning a new language, while taking on high school work can be a struggle for some people. Learning a new language is very time consuming, but I also understand why almost every 4 year college requires a foreign language. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker