Should Students have their phones during school?

Ever since phones came to the world teachers have been strict to students to not have their phones in their backpack or pocket over the years. Some schools don’t even let their phones go into the classroom and they have to put their phone in their lockers. Today, the widespread use of cell phones in society and among teens has pushed districts to examine general bans. Most now allow students to carry cell phones with them to school but have put policies in place that limit their use to varying degrees during the school day. 

Some districts differ most notably in their approach to the use of cell phones in the classroom and the extent to which there are various parts that are linked up together into a phone which is what we have now. Some people who oppose allowing cell phones in the classroom argue that they cause a distraction in the class and can also be used for things like cheating, but the people that support cell phones in the classroom point to the educational potential of this tech, which allows students to solve math problems, take class notes, create digital media for projects depending on the class, and among other things. Also the phones don’t belong to the schools and that the students shouldn’t have to put their phones up since it’s their own property. 

In my opinion, I think that students shouldn’t put their phones in their locker or in a pouch depending on what school you go to and they should have their phone in their pocket or backpack and they use it for when they need it for class and they can handle it too. I also think that they shouldn’t put their phone in their locker or pouches because it’s their property and some people will be mad and that they shouldn’t put their phones up since it’s their property.

Should students have their phone during class?

Does it help the student work in class better?

https://scienceandliteracy.org/why-should-students-be-allowed-to-use-cell-phones-in-class/

https://student-tutor.com/blog/cell-phones-in-school/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you because if you aren't pay attention or listening then you should put your phone up or away.

• I believe that students should be allowed to have their phones in their possession at all times (excluding tests). However, should students be on their phones during class? I don't think so. If you finish your homework early, then yes. However, you are are just on it to be on it or being distracting, then no. 

• I agree with you because sometimes if you have homework done then you can get on your phone as long as it ain't a distraction or a problem.

• I think students should be able to have their phones during school because there are always reasons someone may need their phone. A love one may be sick or someone may be waiting for big news. I have used my phone in class before to communicate with family over important things.

• I agree with you because there could be an emergency and they might need the see the phone call/text or whatever they get.

• I think that students should be able to have their phones if it's not causing any problems or distractions. Not being able to have them does help students not feel the need to be on them in class, but it's the student's responsibility to learn. Their grades will face consequences if they choose to not pay attention in class.

• I agree with you because students can be responsible and they can face the consequences.

• i think it shoud be both the students and teachers choices wheather or not because some kids would be on there phone the whole time and not pay attention while others would be smart with it and not use it unless they had free time. i don't think it helps but i also dont think it doesn't help.

• I agree with you because students will be paying attention and other won't.

• I think that students should be able to have their phones in school because they are not owned by the school. Kids are old enough to make their own decisions rather they want to pay attention or not. We should be able to handle our own personal property in class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker