Should students have assigned seats in school?

Most classes in school have assigned seats so students don't talk a lot or get distracted. It turns out that it could be benificial for students to sit where they want to sit. Sitting by someone you like can give you more confidence to raise your hand and ask questions. A teacher, Mrs. Umland, said "if kids are happy and comfortable, they are more willing to learn". Shes been teaching for 19 years and said she'll never go back to seating charts. If students could pick where they sit then they can sit where they can see the board easily depending on how good their eyesight is and it doesn't make the teacher have to fix the seating chart. Students could get assigned to sit by someone they dislike and it can be uncomfortable for both of the students.

Although, in the beginning of the school year its benificial for teachers to have assigned seats. Its easier to remember students names because you can look at the seating chart. There are kids who like to talk a lot so letting them sit wherever they want could also distract them and other students. It can be harder for students to learn that way if they sit by their friends. If your seating charts are alphebetical then its easier to turn in grades. When papers are in alphebetical order teachers can enter in grades easier. Seating charts can be good for teachers because if theres a kid who doesn't like to listen or does things they're not supposed to then the teacher could move the student closer to their desk. Some students might not know who to sit next to and see everyone else has someone to sit by except them. Letting them choose where to sit can be stressful for the student.

Do you like assigned seating?

Do you think there should be assigned seating?

Why should/ shouldn't students have assigned seats?

sites: https://schools.magoosh.com/schools-blog/pros-and-cons-of-classroom-seating-arrangements

https://sciencespin36.scholastic.com/content/classroom_magazines/archive/sn4/issues/_2016_17/030617/Should-Students-Have-Assigned-Seats.html#:~:text=Many%20teachers%20say%20letting%20kids,to%20learn%2C%E2%80%9D%20says%20Umland.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not like assigned seating. I think we should be able to sit wherever like they do in college. I think it's good for kids to be around their friends so they can help each other and kids should be mature enough to handle their own learning.

• I agree, I also see why some teacher don't do assigned seatings because its destracting for others. I guess it depends on the students and the teacher.

• I do not like assigned seating because I think that kids should have the chose to do what they want to do. I do not think that teachers should chose everything for everybody. I think that students should take their own seats as long as they are not messing around.

• I think that assigned seating should be left up the teacher. There might be a class that is super bad or super loud that might need assigned seating and there might be another class that is good and quiet that should be aloud to sit where they want.

• No, I hate assigned seating. I would much rather be able to pick wherever I want to sit. I do not think that there should be assinged seating becasue then people probably won't sit by there friends, and they are forced to talk to people who they don't like.

• I prefer to be able to pick where I sit, but assigned seating can be more beneficial. Teachers and new students will learn everybody's names easier, and the teacher can tell what kind of person you are. The biggest downside of assigned seating for me is that I have poor eyesight and need to sit near the board, and assigned seating can move me away from it.

• I agree, there are good reasons for assigned seats and bad reasons aswell. I think maybe some teachers should try it out and see if they like it.

• Sometimes I thinkt that we shouldn't have assigned seats because we are in high school and we should be able to sit where we want to sit. On the other hand I think that having assigned seats is a safetly reason.Sometime that's why we have to sit in assigned seats but when you have assigned seat there is sometime when you get your seat and you are sitting by someone you don't like.

• I would rather be able to pick where I sit in class. I think there should only be assigned seats if students are distracted or not listening to the teacher. I think students shouldn't have assigned seating because if they're not causing problems then it doesn't effect the class. 

•  No, I am not a fan of assigned seating I understand that it can be more helpful for a teacher or even a student, but the places where I am sitting in some classes make it hard for me to see the board making it so that I get really bad headaches due to squinting my eyes. I also think that being able to sit where you are comfortable is very important and helpful when you struggle with asking questions in class sitting with people you know won’t judge you can be very helpful with that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker