Should students have assigned seats in school?

Most classes in school have assigned seats so students don't talk a lot or get distracted. It turns out that it could be benificial for students to sit where they want to sit. Sitting by someone you like can give you more confidence to raise your hand and ask questions. A teacher, Mrs. Umland, said "if kids are happy and comfortable, they are more willing to learn". Shes been teaching for 19 years and said she'll never go back to seating charts. If students could pick where they sit then they can sit where they can see the board easily depending on how good their eyesight is and it doesn't make the teacher have to fix the seating chart. Students could get assigned to sit by someone they dislike and it can be uncomfortable for both of the students.

Although, in the beginning of the school year its benificial for teachers to have assigned seats. Its easier to remember students names because you can look at the seating chart. There are kids who like to talk a lot so letting them sit wherever they want could also distract them and other students. It can be harder for students to learn that way if they sit by their friends. If your seating charts are alphebetical then its easier to turn in grades. When papers are in alphebetical order teachers can enter in grades easier. Seating charts can be good for teachers because if theres a kid who doesn't like to listen or does things they're not supposed to then the teacher could move the student closer to their desk. Some students might not know who to sit next to and see everyone else has someone to sit by except them. Letting them choose where to sit can be stressful for the student.

Do you like assigned seating?

Do you think there should be assigned seating?

Why should/ shouldn't students have assigned seats?

sites: https://schools.magoosh.com/schools-blog/pros-and-cons-of-classroom-seating-arrangements

https://sciencespin36.scholastic.com/content/classroom_magazines/archive/sn4/issues/_2016_17/030617/Should-Students-Have-Assigned-Seats.html#:~:text=Many%20teachers%20say%20letting%20kids,to%20learn%2C%E2%80%9D%20says%20Umland.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think I would like to have assigned seating. I understand the point of it and trying to make new friends but I think it could cause some fights between people. Most people enjoy seating with their friends and being able to talk or work with them.

• I agree, it wouldn't be fun to sit by someone you dislike. Getting to choose could be easier for the teacher so they don't have to pick where they sit aswell.

• I am not for of agianst assigned seating, this is because I understand both sides. Another thing to think about is that with assigned seating students need to learn not only the name  of all of their teachers, where each class room is, but also the place they sit and where their phone goes. That can be a lot at the start of the year.

• I don't really mind assigned seating but it is a lot more fun when you get to sit by the people you want to sit by. But by having assigned seating people can learn how to work with lots of different people. They can then use this information in the real world when they have to work with lots of different types of people.

• I agree, students would most likley be more motivated to come to class knowing they can sit by their friends.

• I don't think that having assigned seats would be beneficial because more people would fight because they can't sit by who they want but, the teachers want us to learn without being bothered by a friend or someone that you talk to a lot 

• I think that assigned seats in school are more benificial to the class environment. For me I would sit by my friends if I could but I dont think I would get much work done. I think that if the teachers pick the seats, we pay attention better without being disracted by the people around us. 

• I don't like assigned seats in school. Obviously I would want to sit by my friends. However, I think that assigned seats are probably the more beneficial option. If everyone sat by their friends, then everybody would talk and be loud during class. We all want to sit by our friends, but not all of us are mature enough to do so.

• I think assigned seats are beneficial to the class environment especially in highschool and middle school because students can get off topic easily, and it's best just for everyone to have space between them so everyone can focus and learn. 

• I agree that it takes peoples attention away from the teacher. Also getting to sit by your friends would make kids want to come to class more aswell though.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker