Should students be required to take at least 2 years of foreign language classes to graduate high school? Within Harlan Community School, you are not formally required to take any foreign language classes to graduate. But a question that could be posed within the school is, is it worth forcing students to take these classes?

I think overall there are some positives and negatives to this idea. The positive that is shown after requiring these classes is the increase in knowledge overall. Students who take foreign language classes usually end up being more advanced in other classes due to the heightened knowledge of another language. Another benefit is that students who take a foreign language and stick with it can get better jobs and better opportunities in the long run. Some students may eventually find it easier to get a better job with an even higher pay rate due to the ability to speak another language. The last pro I will mention is the fact that if you even start it earlier, as in elementary school, it widens a younger student's brain and makes their knowledge more flexible. 

Contrary to the pros of this idea. Some cons come along with this requirement. One of them is that forcing a student to take a foreign language may take away from a student within the classroom who wants to be there and is eager to take on the challenge of learning a new language. It takes away some one-on-one time with those who are striving for achievements such as their seal of biliteracy. Another con is that along with requiring a student to take a class, you are bound to have more students failing the class than if the class was chosen. Students are more likely to try a class if they have chosen to take it off their free will. 

Overall I think that both the positive and negative reasons are reasonable. But, in the end, I think that it is better to not require it. I feel like the students who want to push themselves and strive for a better future will choose to take on the challenge of a foreign language. So to sum it up, I believe we should keep it as a non-required elective.

https://www.leadwithlanguages.org/why-learn-languages/middle-high-school/#:~:text=Bilinguals%20have%20better%20problem%2Dsolving,academic%20progress%20in%20other%20subjects. 

Do you think we should have to take 2 years of foreign language to graduate?

Are you in a foreign language right now?

Do you think they should start teaching younger kids different languages?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think it should be required to graduate, but I do think that it's a good idea to have some foreign language knowledge. Even if you know a little bit, it can be helpful to understand another language. Even to understand your own language, it can help with that as well.

• I agree that it shouldn't be required, but it is a good idea to take it.

• I don't think that we should be required to take 2 years to be able to graduate. I think it should be an option. Most colleges require two years of foreign language so I do think it is best if we do. I am in Spanish right now and plan to take at least two years of it. I think that it would be nice for kids to get taught foreign languages at a younger age, as it could benefit them when they are older. 

• I agree that it shoud be an option, but most colleges do require at least two years.

• I think that if you are in highschool you should not be required to take two years of foreign langue because you are not going to become fluent. I am not in a foreign language class rn and i don't plan on being in one.  I think that if they started in pre-k than go for it but don't start them in highschool.

• I agree, I think they should start them younger.

• I am in my second year of Spanish and will be taking 4 years of it, but I don't think that foreign language classes should be required in high school. However, I know that it would be beneficial to start learning a different language sooner than highschool or 8th grade. Learning a different language is easier when you're younger and it helps in other classes.

• I think that some kids like taking it, and they know they are going to need it, so they will take it. But others don't want to.

• I agree that it's better not to require it. It should be up to the student and they should be able to decide if they want to or not. I am in my second year of a foreign language, but I will not be taking it for another year.

• I also think it should be up to the students if they want to take it or not.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker