Should Students be able to Choose Which Classes They Take?

Would you rather take a class that you enjoy and will use to your advantage in the future or take a class to fulfill set requirements in order to complete highschool? In my opinion, students should be able to choose which academic courses they take based on their interests. Most students already have the opinion that taking subjects like history, math, science, and English are unnecessary because they won't use what they learn later in life. For example, a student who is looking to pursue becoming a children’s therapist shouldn’t have to take math classes through highschool; They should be able to take a class that is related to that career.

If students are given the opportunity to choose classes that they enjoy or better understand, they will be more eager to learn and are more likely to engage in the material. In addition, engaging in class more often will result in better grades and an overall better GPA because they’re more comfortable and better understand the topic. This would also decrease the dropout rate and students would be less likely to have to repeat a class or a grade. Many students fail classes just becaust they don't understand the subject or aren't interested in it so it's hard for them to focus in class. Some may think that there aren’t enough teachers to teach such a variety of courses, but many classes can be taught online or through colleges.

Another argument may be that if students choose not to take certain subjects, they’ll never get a basic understanding of that topic. However, students who are not good at a subject or just don’t like it in general are never going to get a full understanding of it if they don’t like the class. In addition, certain requirements can be set to limit this. Examples of this could be not being able to choose your classes until you reach highschool, being required to take classes that involve certain life skills sometime throughout high school, having a limit to how many extracurricular classes you can take (like art, music, or PE), and more. I believe students should have a choice as to what classes they take throughout high school with certain requirements because they will have a higher engagement level, will have better grades, and will have a better understanding of the subjects they’re taking. 

Questions:

1. Do you think that students should be able to choose their academic classes?
  2. What do you want as your future career?
  3. If you were given a larger variety of classes to choose from, what classes would you be interested in taking for your future career?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, classes should be able to be chosen by students based on their future career path and their personal interests. This would result in better grades and students would also have an easier time in college. 

• I think that they should let you. I think we should do what some other countrys do and give you two options. Trade life or other than college I think the school system is just trying to pump out workers unstead of entruponuers. I think that we should get to choose all our classes based on what we want to do in life. 

• I understand what you're saying, however workers are just as important as entrepreneurs, because without them a business wouldn't staying up and running. All in all, students should still be able to choose classes based on what they want as their future career. 

• I think that students should be able to choose their classes. I understand taking basic math, but I feel that science and history classes you should be able to choose. Not everyone excels in those classes and depending on what you want to do, you could be taking it just so you can graduate. Plus, I feel that people would still sign up for these classes since they are interesting. I feel we should have required classes as well, but they need to be reasonable. 

• I agree with you, many careers don't involve certain classes so there's no reason to study them. Many classes are just taken to get credits to graduate highschool. Classes that involve future life skills should still be required, like personal finances which is required to be taken in either our junior or senior year. 

• I think students should be able to choose most, but not all of their classes. I think all core classes should be required so everyone has the opportunity to go to college with their credits, but students should get to choose all the others.

• I think that if school changed to where students could choose all their classes, they would make it so that you don't have to have certain credits to go to college because that wouldn't make sense. Otherwise, students should still be able to choose their other classes. 

• I think students should choose their classes but only to an extent. I think they should still require the basics like math, science, ect. but from there they get to choose. One of the reasons I say students should have to take required classes like math, is because if math wasnt required no one would take it. I know its weird to think but I think math is something you do use almost everyday and when you become an adult you will use it more and more. 

• I understand what you're saying, but some people who like math or want to be a mathmatician or an engineer in the future may still take it. I agree with you though, math is something that we will use very often even if it seems like we don't need to know it. 

• I personally think that they should be able to choose their extra classes first but of course things like science, math, etc. of course, is a requirement. However I don't think that there's much need for certain classes it certainly gives students extra information and keeps them busy. I myself though want to be an author so something like science doesn't apply to my future career, unless I were to write a book involving such formulas. I think today there's not enough classes to pick from, I mean sure theres stuff like child development, cooking, gardening, art. But I think it would be cool and hook students and draw them in more if there were classes that involved something to do with late trends. There's current world issues too which is pretty entertaining but I just think that it'd make more sense if they had more new age stuff.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker