Should Students be able to Choose Which Classes They Take?

Would you rather take a class that you enjoy and will use to your advantage in the future or take a class to fulfill set requirements in order to complete highschool? In my opinion, students should be able to choose which academic courses they take based on their interests. Most students already have the opinion that taking subjects like history, math, science, and English are unnecessary because they won't use what they learn later in life. For example, a student who is looking to pursue becoming a children’s therapist shouldn’t have to take math classes through highschool; They should be able to take a class that is related to that career.

If students are given the opportunity to choose classes that they enjoy or better understand, they will be more eager to learn and are more likely to engage in the material. In addition, engaging in class more often will result in better grades and an overall better GPA because they’re more comfortable and better understand the topic. This would also decrease the dropout rate and students would be less likely to have to repeat a class or a grade. Many students fail classes just becaust they don't understand the subject or aren't interested in it so it's hard for them to focus in class. Some may think that there aren’t enough teachers to teach such a variety of courses, but many classes can be taught online or through colleges.

Another argument may be that if students choose not to take certain subjects, they’ll never get a basic understanding of that topic. However, students who are not good at a subject or just don’t like it in general are never going to get a full understanding of it if they don’t like the class. In addition, certain requirements can be set to limit this. Examples of this could be not being able to choose your classes until you reach highschool, being required to take classes that involve certain life skills sometime throughout high school, having a limit to how many extracurricular classes you can take (like art, music, or PE), and more. I believe students should have a choice as to what classes they take throughout high school with certain requirements because they will have a higher engagement level, will have better grades, and will have a better understanding of the subjects they’re taking. 

Questions:

1. Do you think that students should be able to choose their academic classes?
  2. What do you want as your future career?
  3. If you were given a larger variety of classes to choose from, what classes would you be interested in taking for your future career?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, students shouldn't only take classes like PE or art, they should still be required to take academic classes. At the same time, they should be able to take classes that they're interested in. 

• Students should be able to chose their own classes, but to a certain extent. I think that there needs to be some classes that are required, but students should also be able to chose other classes that they enjoy, or are passionate about, to benefit them for the future.

• I agree with you. Some classes are required because they are important for future life skills you will need to have. However, students should be able to choose classes that are beneficial to them and their interests. 

• I think student's should be allowed to choose what classes they take. I think they should take classes based on their career they want to follow. If you wanted to do a business class then what is the point in taking a science class. Some of classe people take they won't use within their life time. 

• I agree, students should take classes to know more about what they want as their future career. Many classes aren't useful to different careers. 

• I think that students should be able to choose the classes they take. We do get to pick our classes tho, though you might think we don't because we have to take certain classes but I think we should be required to take those classes because they will help us in the future. I think that the school could offer more classes that could help us in our future careers. 

• I agree with you, schools should offer more classes for us. Even online classes could be offered, but there aren't many classes to help students figure out what they want to do in their future or to learn more about their future career. 

• I think that students should be able to pick their classes to a point, they still need required classes. Most schools do have the students pick the classes that they are interested in. I just think that there should be more required classes. For example Self-defense classes, Human Growth and Development, Sex Ed, or Drivers Ed.

• You have a very good point. The classes you listed could be very beneficial to students in their adult-life and they should definitely be introduced to schools. 

• I think up until 8th grade you should be presented with all formal stuff.  Maybe 2 classes of each subjects. Then in high school you can delve further into a subject you really like, say, science or technology, health or even just PE...where you can be emersed in the history, the background if you will of that subject. But knowing this, kids in middle school will start to think on planning what they are going to do for the rest of their life so they can prepare and keep on track for that future career. If there was like an actual class as opposed to extra ciriculars in high school for say, lawyers, then it would take the time off of college leading to less payment or debt. Same is true for almost any career ever. You may be saying " Isn't that what the purpose of college and tradeschools really are?" But you have to PAY for those, high school is free.  So I think that choosing your classes and not having a required class in high school would benefit society alot. Oh, and I plan on becoming in the medical field.  Don't know what yet, but I will find it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker