Should smoking in public be banned?

Since people have been able to smoke in public there have been a lot of people that have had heart attacks. also researchers found that smoking bans can reduce the number of heart attacks by as much as 26% per year. however public smoking bans seem to be tremendously effective in reducing heart attack and it might also help to prevent lung cancer and emphysema, diseases that develop much more slowly than heart attacks.  public smoking could prevent as many as 154,000 heart attacks each year and second-hand smoke increases the risk by 30 percent. 

Public smoking bans had a stronger effect in reducing heart attacks among women and younger individuals, which may be explained in part because younger people tend to frequent clubs, restaurants, and bars where smoking is a likely part of the social scene. Secondhand smoke is thought to increase the likelihood of a heart attack by making the blood “sticky” and more prone to clotting. Also, the good news is that the beneficial effects of smoking bans appear to be fairly immediate, with declines in reported heart attack cases within 3 months.

The impact of bans was strengthened if compliance was good, if baseline smoking prevalence was low, and if air quality was good. While cardiologists routinely screen for lipid disorders and high blood pressure, they also need to become vigilant about asking patients about tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure and provide counseling as needed.

Do you think that smoking in public should be banned?

Do you think it would lower the chances of heart attacks?

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2010/02/22/11/56/21 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that smoking in public should be banned. Smoking can be bad for peoples health even if they are not smoking and can just smell it. Banning could help eliminate many health problems for many who don't smoke, I think it would be very helpful. 

• I think that smoking in public should be banned because everybody has the right to be safe and healthy. The only arguement for public smoking I can think of is that people could just stay away from common public smoking areas. This could cause businesses to lose money and close. If you want to smoke, just do it at home.

• Yes I think that public smoking should be banned. People that smoke in area's that are around people that could have problems with there lungs and have the risk of passing away.

• Yes, I think that smoking should be banned in all public area. Most of the time in public areas people are around eachother and can get second hand smoking. I personally, don't believe that they will ever get the change to ban it cause no one will listen. 

• Yes, I think it would be very benifical if smoking in pubic was banned. Because most of the people who smoke want to quit they just cant so banning them from doing it in public may cause more people to stop. It would also be nice so proplr who smoke dont have to leave to go have a smoke becuase if its banned they cant.

• I think smoking should be banned in public because it can bother some people that don't like the smell of it. I'm not a fan of the smell, but I can tollerate it. I don't think it would lower heart attacks because people will still want to smoke either way.

• I think smoking in public should be banned because smoking is really bad in general, but second hand smoke is also bad. I think that when you are smoking in public, you are letting kids breath in that air and making them get sick, so you shouldn't do it.

• in my oppinion smiking in public should be banned and if someone wants to smoke they should i guess but just not in public because the smell of it its not it and some people hate it.

• I think that smoking in public should be banned. I personally think that if someone wants to smoke, they should be able to do it but not in public because the people around it would also smell it and might not like that. I think banning it could potentially lower the chances of heart attack.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker