Should smoking in public be banned?

Since people have been able to smoke in public there have been a lot of people that have had heart attacks. also researchers found that smoking bans can reduce the number of heart attacks by as much as 26% per year. however public smoking bans seem to be tremendously effective in reducing heart attack and it might also help to prevent lung cancer and emphysema, diseases that develop much more slowly than heart attacks.  public smoking could prevent as many as 154,000 heart attacks each year and second-hand smoke increases the risk by 30 percent. 

Public smoking bans had a stronger effect in reducing heart attacks among women and younger individuals, which may be explained in part because younger people tend to frequent clubs, restaurants, and bars where smoking is a likely part of the social scene. Secondhand smoke is thought to increase the likelihood of a heart attack by making the blood “sticky” and more prone to clotting. Also, the good news is that the beneficial effects of smoking bans appear to be fairly immediate, with declines in reported heart attack cases within 3 months.

The impact of bans was strengthened if compliance was good, if baseline smoking prevalence was low, and if air quality was good. While cardiologists routinely screen for lipid disorders and high blood pressure, they also need to become vigilant about asking patients about tobacco use and secondhand smoke exposure and provide counseling as needed.

Do you think that smoking in public should be banned?

Do you think it would lower the chances of heart attacks?

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press-releases/2010/02/22/11/56/21 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that smoking should be banned but that is because I personally hate that the bad smell is forced on you, you have no choice but to have to smell it and be exposed to the second-hand smoke, and sometimes it even makes your clothing smell like it. I think it could help lower the chances of heart attacks, and it might also make less people smoke.

• Not really. there can be certan places you can smoke but and the same time it would be more respectful to do it when there are less people around because not everyone likes the smell of the smoke and they would prefure to not. Never smoke around children though becaus its very unhealthy for children tehat are still growing ot be around a harmful substance. Just be mindful where you're smoking.

• Yes I think that smoking in public should be banned but there should be a smoking area in a lot of places for people to smoke. I think that it would lower the chance of getting a heart attack because you don't have bad stuff getting in your lungs.

• I think that smoking in public should be banned. A lot of people having breathing issues or don't like the stench of it which could cause either health or conflict problems. It also affects children and elderly because their lungs can't handle the toxic chemicals from smoking.

• I think people should not be able to smoke in public because it is bad for children and elderly people who can't take the smoke. If people choose to ruin their lives by smoking the least they can do is do it privately so other people don't have to face the same risks unwillingly. 

• I'm not sure if i would want to but a ban on smoking in public because there are already places that you aren't allowed to smoke at such as hospitals, schools, and libraries.

• I don't know if I think it should be banned or not. I understand why people might say that it shouldn't be banned as long as it's outside because it's their choise to do that. But I also understand why people might say that it should be banned because it could be affecting the poeple outside around them. I think that it would lower the chances of heart attacks for sure. 

• I think that smoking in public should be banned because there usally are alot of kids around every where so they might breathe in some and might get sick. It might slow down the heart attack coming but not prevent it from happening.

• I do think that smoking in public vicinities should be banned. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally walked through a could of smoke in public parks, outside of stores, or even on my way home. As an asthmatic, it causes a lot of problems with my ability to breathe normally. It would greatly decrease health side effects like heart attacks and second-hand smoke damage. 

• In my opinion, I think that smoking in general should be illegal because tobacco is a very bad drug and it can cause things like Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). lung cancer, and many other types of cancers. Smoking has been popular since I believe it was the 1860s and it has gotten more and more popular over time along with other tobacco products, especially in the 1920sl. It was finally discovered in the 1940s that smoking causes cancer and other health problems such as COPD. Nowadays people are actually trying to show how tobacco products affect your physical health. I know someone who has COPD and has had it for a very long time due to smoking. I also knew someone who passed away from COPD due to smoking for many years. I think making smoking illegal in general would definitely lower more than just the chances of a heart attack. There are more health problems that smoking causes than just a heart attack.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker