Should Sex Ed be taught in school?

In 5th or 6th grade us children usually watch a half hour video, about puberty and what will happen to our bodies throughout Middle School and High School. What we don’t know is what exactly we experience. We have to figure out ourselves what STI’s are, and how to treat our bodies the right way, what to expect from our bodies and how to treat a certain problem, like a yeast infection or balanitis.

I personally like to learn about our bodies and to help our bodies with the right treatment. We need to learn what’s bad and to keep safe. STI’s are a real thing, we need to protect ourselves. Using birth control, or using rubber, that doesn’t always keep us safe from herpes, syphilis, and CMV, these can be caused by kissing, and us being teenagers getting into relationships we need to stay clear from all of these.

Sex Education can be known as a funny class, we make jokes about it but this class will do justice to us as students to understand and help our bodies. For one, this class will make us more aware of the things going on in our bodies, and we need to know that, and I don’t mean on a cellular level just a basic concept so we know how to treat illness, or infections, to know if we need a check up from a doctor or to know if we can just treat it ourselves.

According to Iowa Code, “Each school board should provide age-appropriate and research-based instruction in human growth and development, including instruction regarding human sexuality, self-esteem, stress management, interpersonal relationships, domestic abuse, HPV and the availability of a vaccine to prevent HPV, and acquired immune deficiency syndrome as required in grades one through twelve.”

In only seven states, sex education is a required class in high school, Iowa is one, however, Iowa only shows kids the puberty video and that just doesn’t give us, now young adults, much information. Iowa is even supposed to give us a program called TPP. It would be apart of sex ed, but we don’t have the class. So, should Sex Ed be taught in school?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yes, sometimes we don't get along with our parents and don't feel comfortable enough with these topics so having a class would help those students out tremendously. 

• I think sex education should be taught in school. Some students never got the "talk", or they dont remember it. I think it should be an optional class to learn about this. I don't think it should be required because lots of students dont know how to be serious and not make everything a joke. 

• maybe it shouldn't be required but if any of us want to take it, we should be able to have that. 

• I think a lot of kids make fun of sex education and the meaning behind it, but I believe that it is something that we should all understand and be educated about. By having a sex education class students will learn how to be safe, and be able to recognize if something is wrong with their body. I believe that is should be taught in schools as it will benefit many students by helping them become more educated on the subject. 

• I agree with you, many shows and movies make fun of the class and eventually us students made fun of it, but if we think about it, it would be extremly benificial. 

• I do think that it should be taught in schools. I feel that a small "talk" in 5gh grade just isn't enough. I think especially because of the roe v wade stuff that its important people are well educted. 

• a small talk won't explain the hormones and the infections.., we need to go into detail about how it effects us and what the concequences are.

• I think that Sex Ed should definetly be taught in school. It is so important to learn about our bodies and what is going on during puberty. Sex, menstruation, infections, etc shouldn't be a tabu topic. We need to talk about it since it is just a normal thing that everyone might experience in their live. 

• I don't understand how people hide their bodily problems from people who don't care, if we have this class maybe that would fix peoples mindset on their bodies. Everything is natrual and can't be helped sometimes. 

• No, I don't think sex ed should be taught in schools because we learned it back in 5th grade so I don't think we need to be retaught about it. Also I don't think there would be a lot of kids be paying attention during that class if we be taught about it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker