Should Schools have dress codes?

Should schools have dress codes, to a certain extent they should, however, I feel like boys have much more freedom of clothing options than girls. Now this isn’t a girls’ rights post but I have seen some of the shortest shorts on boys and if a girl wears any type of shorts that are thigh length, she gets dress coded and a lunch detention. Honestly, I find it unfair, we have learned that if we wear something ‘girly’ we get commented on how ungodly it is, but if we wear a baggy outfit we dress too much like a guy. 

Dress codes are for our benefit and teachers benefits, though, some teachers take it way too far, in my opinion. They’ll call someone out in class just to tell them to cover up, we find it embarrassing. Most times now if someone gets dress-coded they kind of protest, by wearing something similar the next day and argue about it. 

I come from a school that had a low dress code policy and it wasn’t bad, boys and girls knew what they could and couldn’t wear. There weren't arguments about it, or assemblies, we students have common sense, we know we can’t wear a bikini top to school or swim trunks to school, we as a whole know we all have out of school clothes and in school clothes.

Today fashion is to show a bit of stomach with crop tops, loose and tight. Or to show a bit of thighs with ripped jeans and sports/jean shorts, most everyone shops for nice looking clothes before school but when we come to school we can’t wear half of that without having to put a hoodie over it or to cover up. We try to find the most trendy outfits but with our own tastes, it's known that we dress to impress and we dress based on our personalities and our likes. If that means very trendy outfits we should be allowed to wear it. For boys and girls. So, should there be dress codes at school? But be more lenient about it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I definetly think that we should have dress codes, they probably just shouldn't be so strict. Personally, I think that dress codes have to be more strict to girls, but not because of sexism, but because girls tend to wear more things that would go against the dress code, and this makes complete sense to me. I think that schools do enforce dress codes towards boys too, but just not as often because they really don't wear anything that would go against the dress code.

• I think we should have a dress code. It should be a fair dress code that isn't too strict, just making sure people dont come to school with barley any clothes on. I think it would be better for us to have a dress code rather than not having one, it should just be less strict. That way you can still express who you are through clothes.

• Dress codes are part of a system used to hide women's bodies years ago. The rules haven't changed since women wore skirts down to their ankles. Dress codes are mostly enforced on women. In my opinion. There are some points to the dress code, but it should be dialed back. There is no reason women can't wear crop tops while boys wear wife beaters and their nipples show. How can women's bodies be distracting?

• I don't think that schools should have dress codes. I feel everyone should be allowed to wear what they want and the type of clothing that they wear can express who they really are. So no I dont think schools should enforce a dress code.

• Every student expresses themselves through their clothes and in todays fashion without looking like you grew up with your grandma there are crops tops and clothing that show lots a skin. 

• I think that if we are going to have a dress code, then it should be enforced to everyone. I have seen people dress coded on things that are not exactly against the handbook, and gotten in trouble for it, but later that day see people wearing clothes that are worse than what others are wearing, and yet they are not getting in trouble for it. I think that we all know that there is a limit, and we would all follow it. But the school system doesn't think that we would.

• Exactly, it's an equal code we should be treated fairly when it comes to certain situations like these. 

• I don't think that there should be a strict dress code. Everyone should be able to wear what they want. Clothes can be a way to express your personality and that shouldn't be limited. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in your clothes. 

• How we dress is how we choose to express ourselves, and by limiting what we can wear school's are puting a damper on our creativity and individuality. Obviously, there are certain items of clothing that students shouldn't be allowed to wear to school, but the majority of students would know better than to wear those items. 

• I think schools should have dress codes but should make sure to enforce them with ALL students. Without targeting just females. I appreciate the dress code sometimes. But I think they should be a bit less strict. I don't think shoulders are distracting and I think that if guys' basketball jerseys show their shoulders then it shouldn't matter if we girls show ours. Also, I think it's hypocritical to say that our shorts are too short when girls wear spandex for volleyball. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker