Should schools use tablets or textbooks?

Textbooks have been used in classrooms for several years to help students learn important information. But now that we have newer technology, many schools are wondering if using tablets to learn this information would be more beneficial. The positives and negatives to both tablets and textbooks have schools stumped on which is the best to use. 

There are many positives to using tablets for learning. For example, multiple textbooks can be kept on one tablet along with homework and quizzes. This can help to eliminate the storage needed for physical classroom materials. Tablets also have many features that textbooks don’t have. You can highlight or underline which you can’t do in a textbook. Tablets are also great for teaching students technology skills that they will need in the future as technology gets more advanced. Textbooks sometimes can have outdated information. If tablets are used, then current information is available for students.

However, there are also some downsides to using tablets. Tablets are associated with many different health problems. They cause eyestrain, headaches, and can cause musculoskeletal disorders if used too often. Tablets also make it easier for students to cheat because they can look up the answers instead of reading. Students can also get distracted very easily on tablets, which might make them put off their school work until the very last minute. Technological issues also can be a problem with tablets. Using textbooks saves you the headache of frozen screens or getting hacked.

If I had to choose between tablets or textbooks, I would choose textbooks. I think that reading off of a screen all day would make my eyes tired. Reading out of a textbook would be easier for me to comprehend what I am reading because there are less distractions. I know that tablets are great for teaching technology skills, but I think that we use our computers enough that we have a good understanding of how to use technology. 

Would you rather use a tablet or a textbook?

Do you think there will be a time when schools don’t use textbooks anymore?

https://www.eztexting.com/textbooks-vs-tablets 

https://tablets-textbooks.procon.org/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I would rather use a textbook because of how much easier it can be to use. Sometimes a tablet may crash or just not work, but a textbook always works. I think that there will eventually be a time when schools don't use textbooks, but I don't see it in the near future.

• I personally would choose to use a textbook rather than a tablet because in the past when I have tried using an online textbook over an actual textbook I have always struggled to find the right page and this has caused me to get behind. Unfortunately yes I do think that there will be a time where we use tablets instead of actual textbooks. I'm not sure when this will actually be but I really hope that it is not anytime soon. 

• I personally would prefer to use a textbook purely for ease of use. A tablet may require some instruction on how to use it or how to fix problems that may arise, but a textook needs no instruction and will never encounter glitches of any kind. I do think that at some point in the future most schools will be using tablets.

• I would rather use a textbook because you never know when a tablet will stop working. It would be awful if it stopped working when you needed to take notes. Everyone has been using textbooks and I think it should be kept like that. They are easier to manage and they stay in classes so you don't have to carry them around. I think that somewhere in the future there will be a point where schools won't use text books anymore because of how fast technology is growing. 

• Personal to me I think I would rather use textbook because sometime tablet crash and then they don't work, So you would at least have textbook that doesn't crash down. I think here in couple more years I think we could possibly start changing to tablet instead of textbook.

• I've had a lot of experience with using textbooks since I had to use them my whole life back in Mexico and don't really like it. I went to a government school where the government provided the textbooks, a book for every subject, which I had to carry to school every day, so coming here and having no books was a big relief for me; with that in mind, I wouldn't like to use tablets instead of books. I agree that tablets have a lot of technological advancements that could make studying easier, but my personal choice would be textbooks since looking at a screen for long periods of time make my head hurt and we wouldn't necessarily all have to carry books every day, teachers could just have them under the desks like some already do. 

• I personally think that tablets would be better because some of the textbooks the classroom has to offer are outdated and may have information that has been changed or altered in the years. I think that tablets have more resources than a plain textbook. 

• I would rather use a tablet. I think it is more efficient and better for students to learn on. Textbooks are heavy and teachers would most likely make us carry them around and bring them home and stuff. People used textbooks for years and I think if we use tablets it's like a new/better way of learning. 

• In my Opinion I think they should keep texts books, I feel that Textbooks are so much more reliable because they have all info that you need and when it comes to tablets what are you gonna do if the Tablet dies? without textbooks anyone can get themselves with trouble

• I agree, if your tablet dies you can't get any information out of it but if you use a textbook that information isn't going anywhere. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker