Should Schools Teach Mindfulness?

Mindfulness has been associated with the perceived reduction of pain in participants by upwards of 50%. Meditation is a practice that can help people tremendously with mental health and sometimes physical health. When we practice mindfulness, we learn how to make observations without getting wrapped up in thoughts or feelings. This is great when you're trying to make decisions that affect other people to figure out what the right decision is.

Mindfulness can help reduce feelings of anxiety. It can also help improve positive self-talk in people with anxiety. Nowadays when it comes to school work well all know that it can be very stressful and even worse if you have problems with anxiety, so practicing mindfulness in school will be great to reduce stress levels. At its most basic level, mindfulness is about attending to the present moment. We all know that when you have a lot it can be stressful and we tend to only focus on that stress. Practicing mindfulness and learning to pay attention to the present moment and focus on that can help more than you would think

Schools around the US and around the world have decided to add mindfulness into their everyday learning, so students can be ready to concentrate and learn about whatever they are learning that day. In a U.S.  news article, they explain, “Mindfulness practice may include activities such as asking students to notice the sights, sounds, and stimuli in the room, observe where they feel tension in their bodies, or simply take a few deep breaths before taking a test or starting a challenging project.”

In my opinion, I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great way to teach students how to deal with stress in a healthy way and be even more ready to work well in class. Not everyone likes to admit that they deal with stress or anxiety but it does happen and it is hard to deal with when you don’t know how.

Questions 

Have you ever experienced problems with anxiety?

Do you think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea?

Do you ever practice mindfulness outside of school?

Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/ 

https://www.highlandparktherapy.com/ 

https://www.usnews.com/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't really have extreme anxiety as some people do, but I do feel anxious in some situations/places. I think mindfulness is a good idea as an option in school, but I don't think it should be required or anything, I think you should be able to choose whether or not you want to participate, because some people may not feel comfortable doing it.

• Yeah when im around of alot of people, i think pratcing mindfullness would be useful but I would never take it, I never have praticed mindfulness I dont need it, its only when im around alot of people or people are pissing me off.

• In my opinion, I think that practicing mindfulness during school is a good idea. Because many students struggle with anxiety, teaching them mindfulness could help them focus better and do preform better in school as a result. 

• I think that teaching mindfulness is a good idea but I personally think that it won't work. I wouldn't ever practice it outside of school. I think a lot of students wouldn't practice it outside of school either.

• I have in the past experienced anxiety, but as I've gotten older, it has gotten better. I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great idea because it can help kids focus better. I think that it would have more of an impact than everybody thinks.

• I have in the past experienced anxiety, but as I've gotten older, it has gotten better. I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great idea because it can help kids focus better. I think that it would have more of an impact than everybody thinks.

• No, I have never had any problems with anxiety nor do I have much of it. I do not know much about anxiety but I think that if people have it then they should have their own wayt to control it because it could cause a lot of problems. No, I don't practice mindfulness out side of school or in school.

• i think that this could be used for a win class because no one going to be able to sit through a whole class doing mindfulness, however, it would be a cool thing and could possibly help people during school in some cases.

• Yes I've had anxiety before but not horribly. Yes I think it would be a good idea to have that as a class but not required, I think there are definetly some people who would like it. I don't think I've ever practiced mindfullness before. 

• I think that this could be one of the classes for WIN or in study hall you can go to this class if you have all your work done and good grades. My anxiety is very bad and I believe that it could be a class of some sort it would help alot of people out.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker