Should Schools Teach Mindfulness?

Mindfulness has been associated with the perceived reduction of pain in participants by upwards of 50%. Meditation is a practice that can help people tremendously with mental health and sometimes physical health. When we practice mindfulness, we learn how to make observations without getting wrapped up in thoughts or feelings. This is great when you're trying to make decisions that affect other people to figure out what the right decision is.

Mindfulness can help reduce feelings of anxiety. It can also help improve positive self-talk in people with anxiety. Nowadays when it comes to school work well all know that it can be very stressful and even worse if you have problems with anxiety, so practicing mindfulness in school will be great to reduce stress levels. At its most basic level, mindfulness is about attending to the present moment. We all know that when you have a lot it can be stressful and we tend to only focus on that stress. Practicing mindfulness and learning to pay attention to the present moment and focus on that can help more than you would think

Schools around the US and around the world have decided to add mindfulness into their everyday learning, so students can be ready to concentrate and learn about whatever they are learning that day. In a U.S.  news article, they explain, “Mindfulness practice may include activities such as asking students to notice the sights, sounds, and stimuli in the room, observe where they feel tension in their bodies, or simply take a few deep breaths before taking a test or starting a challenging project.”

In my opinion, I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great way to teach students how to deal with stress in a healthy way and be even more ready to work well in class. Not everyone likes to admit that they deal with stress or anxiety but it does happen and it is hard to deal with when you don’t know how.

Questions 

Have you ever experienced problems with anxiety?

Do you think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea?

Do you ever practice mindfulness outside of school?

Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/ 

https://www.highlandparktherapy.com/ 

https://www.usnews.com/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have never experienced problems with anxiety, but I think that practicing mindfulness could be helpfull for people, especially those with anxiety. I don't think that schools need to force students to practice mindfulness because I don't think it will help everybody. Although, I have never practiced it.

• I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea. There could be like a class or WIN sessions about it. I think that it could helpt many students because it might be relaxing for them during a stressful school day. I tried meditating outside of school a couple times. 

• I think that schools should offer some more help with anxiety but not have it forced. I overthink a lot and have anxiety about school but it's not as bad as some people. I think mindfulness could be helpful. I think the school should offer it but not require it or force people to talk about it. 

• Yes I have experienced anxiety. It's a part of me I'm not proud about. My anxiety causes problems in my everyday life most people wouldn't even think twice about. Such problems include overthinking, panic attacks, sleep deprivation (after a while it progresses into insomnia), loss of appettite, etc. I think that schools should OFFER courses in mindfulness that aren't required but are encouraged.

• I think that schools should help people more about it but i dont think they should force them to do it. i get anxiety from my dad and i just overthink a lot or worry to much about stuff i shouldnt. i think talking and facing the things would help but some people dont like to talk about it

• I think that schools should help students' mental health a lot more than what they are doing right now. As a person who suffers from depression and anxiety, it can be easy for me to get overwhelmed. I love meditation and I think it would be really beneficial if schools encouraged their students to do it. 

• I agree, it could be very beneficial if they focused a little more than they do on students mental health 

• I think that schools should help with a student's mental help a lot more than what they're doing now. That's not to say that they aren't doing anything, but most students don't feel safe talking to their peers in school, much less the adults. I get really anxious and nervous whenever I have to take a test so I try to practice mindfulness in the classroom a little bit.

• I agree the school needs to focus more on others students mental health

• i have experienced anxiety lots and lots of times. Rather im in my house, in a car, at a store, or even at school, i've had anxiety. I would to start practicing mindfulness in school. it seems like a wonderful idea for our school. The only mindfulness i do outside of school is meditation.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker