Should Schools Teach Mindfulness?

Mindfulness has been associated with the perceived reduction of pain in participants by upwards of 50%. Meditation is a practice that can help people tremendously with mental health and sometimes physical health. When we practice mindfulness, we learn how to make observations without getting wrapped up in thoughts or feelings. This is great when you're trying to make decisions that affect other people to figure out what the right decision is.

Mindfulness can help reduce feelings of anxiety. It can also help improve positive self-talk in people with anxiety. Nowadays when it comes to school work well all know that it can be very stressful and even worse if you have problems with anxiety, so practicing mindfulness in school will be great to reduce stress levels. At its most basic level, mindfulness is about attending to the present moment. We all know that when you have a lot it can be stressful and we tend to only focus on that stress. Practicing mindfulness and learning to pay attention to the present moment and focus on that can help more than you would think

Schools around the US and around the world have decided to add mindfulness into their everyday learning, so students can be ready to concentrate and learn about whatever they are learning that day. In a U.S.  news article, they explain, “Mindfulness practice may include activities such as asking students to notice the sights, sounds, and stimuli in the room, observe where they feel tension in their bodies, or simply take a few deep breaths before taking a test or starting a challenging project.”

In my opinion, I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a great way to teach students how to deal with stress in a healthy way and be even more ready to work well in class. Not everyone likes to admit that they deal with stress or anxiety but it does happen and it is hard to deal with when you don’t know how.

Questions 

Have you ever experienced problems with anxiety?

Do you think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea?

Do you ever practice mindfulness outside of school?

Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/ 

https://www.highlandparktherapy.com/ 

https://www.usnews.com/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I haven't really had problems with anxiety but I know many people that do and I think this could be a good idea. However, I feel like many kids would make fun of it and not take it seriously.

• I have been medically diagnosed with anxiety so I have experience with panic attacks and anxiety in general and I think that practicing mindfulness is a good way to teach kids how to relax and help cope with anxiety. the only downside is kids would probably not take it seriously and would make fun of it. 

• I myself have not experienced a ton of problems with anxiety, but I can understand how it feels. I think that practicing mindfulness in school is a good idea. There should be a class where you talk about things that are bothering you, making you nervose, etc., and just let your body relax.

• I agree, a class like this would be a good idea

• I personally have not had an extreme problem with anxiety. I think that for some students mindfulness would really help them, however, I don't think that it should be a class. I feel that it is a waste of staff resources when you could search it up on youtube.

• I do not really experienc problems with eniety or anyting like that really but when I do I most of the time just take a couple of deep breaths and try to focuse on something else to take my mind off of whatever I am thinking about.

• I rarely experience problems with anxiety, but when I do I just take a couple deep breaths and relax. I think about how this problem would affect me in the long run, and usually I calm down. I think practicing this could be a good way to improve mental health among kids and into adults as people grow up.

• For me personally, I have not really had problems with anxiety, but I do know that lots of people do struggle with it. I think that it would be a good idea to practice it, but you would need to make sure that people are actually taking it seriously and not just making fun of it.

• I agree people would probably make fun of it

• I think that the school could maybe have a time during the day that is very relaxing and stress free. Meaning, that it is not a study, and more of a time where we are just in a class but get to relax and do random stuff or have fun.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker