Should schools require certain classes?

Everyone has that one class that they despise. For me personally, I could live without History. Nothing against Bruns or anything, but I just don't see the point in the class if I'm never going to use the information in my future career. I also think that science, math, and English passed the basic knowledge needed for everyday human interaction is unnecessary. If you are thinking of pursuing a future career that requires this extra knowledge, take the dang classes in college. Some people might be thinking, well, history is needed to prevent the past from repeating itself and math is needed to solve your everyday arithmetic problems, English is needed for communication through speech and writing, and science is important for understanding the world around us. While these things are important, you don't need to know the difference between who and whom to communicate every day and we have spell check for a reason. You can also live without knowing how the human body works and the difference between your biceps and forceps, or how to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle or the surface area of a pentagon. History can be taught through stories and the experiences of other people. We don't need to know where Hitler went wrong in his rise to power. I think that we should be required to learn the basics then if we want to learn more about the subject, we can choose to take them for further knowledge.

Perhaps you have a different opinion or see something I don't.

What do you see?

Do you think that these classes are needed for the good of our future or not?

What class could you live without?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that some classes should be required in order to learn some basic knowledge. I think that learning more difficult things in school, especially math and science, can help you to improve on your problem solving skills. I agree with you that we don't need to know everything we learn, but I think that some of it is important.  

• I think there are a lot of classes that we don't need. However, I think everyone should have a little background knowledge with math, science, and a little English. I think kids should be able to choose classes based on what they want their career to be however.

• I think that there are a lot of classes that I won't use in life, however, it is always nice to know the information. Though I am not going into anything involving History, it is always nice to know about the history of the United States.

• Yes, I like to learn about new things too but I just don't think some of this information is necessary to know.

• I do believe that there should be some classes that are required like mathk, science, and english. The core classes should be required, but all the other classes should be given as an option. I think there are some classes like art that people can live without.

• I think that some classes should be required like math, science,   english, and history, but other classes should be optional to be taken. When you give student s a choice to pick their classes I think that they find more fun in it and might actually enjoy going to them.

• I think the classes you have to take are Math, Science, English and history. I believe you shouldn't have to take a different laungage class because if you just wanna speak english then thats your choice. I think that the class required are good for the future.

• I think that basic classes like English math science and history are important and should be kept in our schedule learning these basic things are important and is needed to get by in life. so I think that we should keep these subjects. 

• I think that the core classes we have right now are important and should be required. I think if there are any classes that teach information that can be used in most careers they should be required, however if the class doesn't teach skills used in very many careers, it shouldn't be required. 

• I agree that the specific information is not necessarily useful for everyone, but the skills that being in a school environment teaches you are very important. Math is a very logical subject and requires problem-solving. Even if you do not remember how to do a type of problem, you can almost always attempt to figure it out logically. History is important to be an educated citizen. I would disagree with your specific example of learning about Hitler for history. I agree though that if you are not planning on going to higher education then some of the information can be pretty useless.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker