Should Schools Provide an American Sign Language Class?

Sign language is a language that uses hand motions and facial expressions. This language is used to help people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or people that are unable to speak, communicate with everyone around them. Sign language can be very beneficial because it can help promote inclusion and communication with everyone. Over 70 million people in the world use sign language. In the nation, there are over 1,000 schools that teach American sign language. Harlan Community is not one of those schools.

American Sign Language (ASL) can be beneficial because it helps provide a way to communicate with others who cannot speak or hear. Most people who use sign language are deaf, hard of hearing, cannot speak English very well, have a disability, or other reasons. Without sign language, these people have to find different ways to communicate with others. American Sign Language helps promote equality for everyone. ASL gives people who are unable to speak or hear, an opportunity to live an equal life.

Students who learn sign language can communicate with those around them that are unable to communicate through speech. Learning ASL helps with inclusion throughout schools. Just like Spanish and French (which are foreign languages that Harlan provides), ASL provides another way to share their thoughts, it can also be used as a second language that you can use for colleges/universities. Some schools that accept sign language as a foreign language are The University of Iowa, Yale University, Florida State University, Baylor University, and many more. If students learn sign language, they are helping their future selves as well as the community. If you learn ASL, you might have a higher chance of getting a job because you know sign language and can communicate with others. 

In my opinion, I think that having the option of taking an American sign language class would be very good. Learning ASL could potentially benefit me in the future, if I have a family member that needs to use ASL, or I know someone or work with someone that uses it. Learning sign language can benefit you and others around you in many ways. I think that many people should learn ASL because it helps include everyone.

Sources:

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/american-sign-language 

https://www.asldeafined.com/2019/04/american-sign-language-in-high-school/#:~:text=Today%2C%20there%20are%20over%201%2C000,offer%20American%20Sign%20Language%20courses

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/09/23/without-sign-language-deaf-people-are-not-equal#:~:text=More%20than%2070%20million%20deaf,be%20included%20in%20their%20communities

Have you ever wanted to learn ASL?

Would you take an ASL class if Harlan offered it?

Do you think that it is important for students to have the opportunity to learn ASL?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, I think that ASL should be offered like Spanish and Frech are offered, it would help to include more people and accept disabilites and languages.

• I think the school should provide ASL. Although I don't come by deaf people everyday I think it would be super helpful to communicate with them especially since there are so many people who are deaf and hard of hearing. If Harlan offered the class I think I would join it. 

• I agree, you don't always see people that are deaf everyday, but if you do meet one learning ASL would be very helpful. 

• I think that learning sign language would be very fun and helpful. I woud increase the amount of people I would be able to talk to, and it would be a great learning experiance. I would take an ASL class if Harlan offered it because I think that I would be great to learn, much like Spainish. An opportunity to learn ASL should be availible everywhere because, like Spainish, you will be able to use it throughout your life.

• I have never personally wanted to learn american sign language, but i think that it would be very benefical to me to know another language of communication just in case i would ever need to use it.But if it were a class at Harlan i would not take it.

• I agree with you, I think that students should be given another language class to help broaden their communication skills, other than spanish and french, 

• I kind of wanted to, because of the many people using sign language on TV, and seeing someone do a song with sign language at a talent show. I would take the sign language class, because it seems like it would be fun.

• I agree, we see many people that use sign language on a movie or tv show, having a class could help someone learn ASL for fun or to learn how to communicate with others.

• I have wanted to learn ASL before because I think it could be beneficial to know.  Personally I would take a ASL class if it was offered. It would be a new language that I could learn. I think that it would be nice if students had the opportunity to learn ASL because it could help them in the future.

• I think that sign language would be a great experience for communicating with others, but I think that if you have anyone around you who speaks ASL you should learn ASL, I don't see people learning ASL in schools but sure why not it would be a great skill to have in the future. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker