Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• No school uniforms shouldnt be required as it takes away from us being able to express oursleves in certian ways. I would find super uncomfortable. what about the cost of these uniforms, there are alot of famlies that struggle financially, this would add more stress on those families, along with single parents who are allready struggling with the cost of living. We should be able to wear what we find comfrtable not some itchy ugly school uniforms. I would resfuse to wear the uniform as it takes away our right to exoress ourselves and be comfortable, i know i wouldnt be able to focus in class if i am stuck some uncomfotable uniform

• I completely agree with you, I feel like doing this would take away our freedom of expression, I also think there are many more cons then there are pros to requiring school uniforms. Such as the financial state in some families, and the comfortability the student's have while in school.

• I think school uniforms should be Required the reason that I feel like they need to be required is so then it is easier for girls and boys to get dressed and no one could get made fun of for what they are wearing I feel like if they were required my biggest complaint would be if I had to wear a skirt or pants which I would rather wear pants because I am not a skirt person The reason why I like choosing out my outfits every morning is that then you can get compliments and everyone looks different.

• I agree with you in this aspect. Certain mornings it takes me so much time to finally decide on an outfit, and this I think would literally be such a game changer too, I wouldn't have to worry about if it matches or if it looks okay on me, and many people can't afford "good" or clean clothing, so this may help a lot of people and we just don't know it.

• I don't think that school uniforms should be required. My biggest complaint would be the comfort of the uniforms, I also think the price of them could be an issue for some students in the school.  I like being able to choose my own outfit every day becasue I can dress based on different events that day and choose to dress up or down. 

• I agree with you, having the freedom of choosing my own outfits is nice, and whether or not I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing. I also agree with you on the financial aspect of things. I feel like when people say they want required uniforms they don't take into account that many people can't afford them.

• I think that school uniforms should not be required but they should be offered to students. I think this because nobody wants to wear uniforms, but some people don't have many clothes. I like being able to wear my own clothes because it allows me to be me,

• I agree with you, there are many students who don't have accessibility to good or clean clothing, so an optional outfit the students could have would be nice. It would give the students an extra pair of clothes and an opportunity to fit in.

• I don't think public schools should enforce school uniforms to be required, but if it's a private school the circumstances would be different. My biggest complaint if we were forced to wear uniforms is that they aren't comfortable and I would much rather wear something different. 

• I agree with you, seeing them in a private school setting would be understandable, but I don't really see a purpose in public schools. I also feel like this could be a little harder to manage and to actually get everyone to wear them in a public school with many more students.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker