Should School Uniforms Be Required?

How long have uniforms been required in schools? Well in fact, school uniforms have been seen in schools since 1222. They started in a school in England, but their school uniforms weren’t like modern uniforms, they had to wear a robe-type outfit called a cappa-clausa. After this, school uniforms started to become more popular throughout private schools, but what about public schools? School uniforms should not be required in public schools because it takes away the students' individuality, and creativity.

I can understand the argument for why we should have school uniforms, but the monotony may be boring to the students’ minds. It’s already hard enough to stay focused in some classes, let alone if you were wearing something that you found uncomfortable. The diversity in clothing choices of the students’ gives character. People may argue that students are pressured to fit in with name brand clothing, and trendy styles. This may be true in some cases, but that’s why the staff influence the students’ to think for themselves and to express them for who they truly are.

School uniforms have been around for a very long time. Some may say that we should keep them around, as some sort of tradition. The world evolves and people change. In my personal opinion, this is a movement that should be stopped. School uniforms remove the students’ originality and distinction.

Do you think school uniforms should be required? Why?

If they were required, what would your biggest complaint be?

Why do you like being able to choose your own outfits?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think school uniforms should not be required, its a waste of money and time to be honest. The reason this is a waste of time is do to the fact that with the official uniforms they would get dirty often and also some will be ruined over time it would become a waste for school resources. If school uniforms was to be required my biggest complaint would be the simple fact that not only is there not much outfit diversity but also a boring mess. The main reason i like being able to wear my own outfits is to express myself through what I wear.

• I agree with you, the price these would have to cost to get "durable" outfits would be insane and the students would still find a way to mess them up. So I also personally think its a waste of time.

• I think school uniforms should not be required in any school. If they were i know for a fact girls would most likely wear skirts and i do not like skirts. I like having my own style and being able to dress how i want to. If we had uniforms it would be expenssive as well.

• I agree with you, I feel like especially in a smaller school like ours the price of the uniforms would have to be a little higher, and then the price to replace them or get new ones whenever you outgrow them might get a little expensive.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker