Should school days be shorter?

Every week students are going to school almost 40 hours every week (8 hours, 5 days a week). Students also start their day very early in the morning When students are in school for longer they are able to learn more and they would have more time to get their homework done, but then teachers, some days have lessons that can take the whole 43 mins to give the lesson and leave no time to get homework done. Some students struggle to balance their life outside of school and school-work. Some students tend to put sports and their lifestyle and “not” have time to do their homework.  So shorter days for students would give them more time to balance school and their life outside of school. 

On the other hand, shortening school days would force schools to extend the days students are in school. In Iowa a student is required to be in school for atleast 1,080 hours every school year. Shortening days will only benefit the students that have sports and jobs after school and not those who have nothing. Shortening days for students affects all students not just high school and middle school students but kids in Primary and Intermediate too. Shortening these days can put many families in financial stress and really be draining for everyone in that family and parents will have a tough time finding someone to transport and care for their young child. 

I get that school takes up a lot of time out of everyones day but students should have responsibility to get their homework done and balance their life outside of school. I believe that school should stay the same duration of hours that it is now. As i stated earlier shortening school effects all students and puts families into financial stress and shortening school is very selfish for those struggling as is with school being 8 hours. 

Do you think school days should be shortened?

What would you think if our school shortened the days? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that school days should not be shorter. I think this because school has to have a number of hours/days by law that students must attend. If school days were shorter there would be less time in the summer. If our school shortend the days and took some summer time I would for sure consider transferring schools.

• I think that it shouldn't be changed but i would definintly like it if it was changed but like i said i dont think it should it is a good amount of time but what i do think is that school should start later and end later like from 9-4 because for many people it is hard to get up in the morning and i think that would help.

• I would obviously want school to be shortened then I could have more time for the other things in my life but it doesn't need to be changed. I have time to have a job, get my homework done and do my chores. If the days got shortened I think the kids that don't have anything going on would hopefully join something to take up their time.

• No, I think that it should stay the same. Because if you switch it and have less time we will get more days since the days are shorter. More days will equal a longer year so thats why it should stay the same and not switch.

• No I think that the school day should stay the same. It could lead to us having to go longer in the year. If we sorten our day that measn less house and means more day we have to show up to school and "learn". I think that what we have now in good we should leave it and just try to make school more fun.

• Personally, I don't think that there should be shorter school days. This would just make us have to go more into the summer vacation, and I don't think that it would be worth it in the end. I think that if our school shortened the days, that it would be harder to get learning in, and it would allow enough time in each class.

• don't get me wrong, short days would be great! But, it is the students responsibility to get their homework done with balancing out work and/or sports. If you cant manage that then maybe you shouldn't be in a sport or have a job. Or ask for a few days off from work and study on those days or in between practice and school get something done. Theres multiple ways then changing the whole school system to manage balancing their lives.

• I don't think that we should have shorter school days. If we had shorter school days hten we would have to have more days of school, which I wouldn't like. I think the school days are fine how they are now. You just have to get that day over then you have the rest of the day to yourself.

• Although it would be nice to have shorter days, it would be better to stick to our usual time to get out earlier. School may be unpleasant but it's better to get it done with. We are in school for about 9 months and have the rest of the year to ourselves. I wouldn't like shorter days due to showing livestock and the busiest time of the year being summer.

• I agree, it would be awesome but not very effective 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker