Should Public Money Be Used For Private Schooling?

Recently, our Governor, Kim Reynolds, signed a new bill called the "Students First Act" that will take effect in the upcoming 2023-2024 school year. The new bill will allow any student in Iowa to use public money to pay for private school tuition. Families who choose to send their children to a private institution will receive $7,598 per child to help pay for tuition. This is the same amount that public schools receive for each student enrolled in their district. Iowa is only the third state in the nation to pass this initiative. The justification for the bill was to give parents and students a choice for their education and allow families to pick an option that best suits their child's needs. We need to remember there has always been a choice for families and students that includes: public school, open enrollment, homeschooling, and private. The difference is the State of Iowa wasn't paying for a student's tuition who chose to go to a private school. The bill doesn't create any new schooling options it just makes the private option more affordable. Regardless of income, families choosing to enroll students next year in a private school for the first time will receive the full $ 7,598 amount. Children who currently attend a private school will have their funding phased in over a three-year period. Families wanting this option will have funding placed in an ESA (educational savings account).

The Students First Act could have a large negative financial impact on public schools as more families may choose to send their children to private institutions, thus eliminating vital funding from school districts.  School districts rely on state funds to provide a quality education for all students. A reduction in state funding not only puts the district at risk but could also raise property taxes in communities to help offset the loss. Iowa taxpayers already pay state taxes to help fund public schools. Why would they want to pay more just to make up for the losses caused by the new bill? Did you know that private schools don't have to accept all students, they can pick and choose who is admitted. Are private schools better than public schools? Are they able to accommodate special needs students? Many questions need to be asked and answered before families start removing their children from public schools.

Is this the best use of public funds?

Should all families choosing the private school option receive the same amount or should it be based on income?

Scources:https://www.foxnews.com/media/iowa-gov-kim-reynolds-signs-historic-school-choice-bill-we-will-fund-students-not-systems

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2023/01/24/iowa-governor-kim-reynolds-signs-school-choice-scholarships-education-bill-into-law/69833074007/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, I think that public money should only be used for public education. If a family wants their kids to go to a school that's not public, then they should pay for that on their own without government funding. 

• No, I think it is not the best use of public funds. I think families should get different amounts of money to go to private schools based on how much income they get a month. This could ensure that the money isn't get wasted on a family that doesn't need the money.

• I agree with you, I think how much money you get from the government for your education should be income based. This could save lots of money because families who have kids already enrolled in private schools don't need the extra money. 

• Personally, I don't think public government funding should be used for private education. Most private schools for children involve religion and the teaching of the bible, and in America, we are supposed to have a separation between church and state, and funding for religious schools would go against that.

• I agree with you, I think that public government funding shouldn't be used for private education and only public education. I think more kids will attend private schools instead of public schools next schoolyear. 

• I don't think that this is the greatest idea. Because then I feel that all of the students that want the best education will go to the private schools. Meaning, the public schools will be left with the not so greats. Which could be dangerous in some occasions.

• I agree with you, I think this money that will be given to students to attend whatever school they want. This will make most kids want to transfer to a private school instead of a public school.

• I dont think this is the best use for public funds. This makes everyones taxes higher. I don't think that is fair especially if you are not sending your kid to a provate school. If you choose to send them to a private school, then the cost is on you, not the surrounding community. 

• I agree with you, this will most likely make taxes higher and it isn't fair for the families who have already been sending their kids to a private school before this bill was passed. 

• I don't think public funds should be used for private schools. Private schools are seperate from the state, so why should public funds pay for something that they arn't a part of.  I think public funds should just continue to fund public schools. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker