Should Photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is an app that can alter photos so that you can make them look just how you want them to. Most advertisements and influencers usually use photoshop to make their pictures look even better in hopes that it will bring them more customers or followers. Unfortunately, sometimes this has a negative impact on people, so should photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is used to make any imperfections in your picture perfect. But then that altered photo is passed off as the real thing without many people even noticing. For example, if a company photoshops the model to have smoother skin, it might make someone feel insecure about themselves. About 99.9% of photos seen online have been photoshopped in some way. That means that most of these pictures are not the real copy, and there are more perfect photos that people might compare themselves to. 

Although photoshop can have a negative effect on people, it can also be positive. It allows artists to be more creative. Photoshop isn’t always used to create unrealistic standards, many times it is used to make a more unique design. This can bring joy to artists and might even bring in more customers for businesses.  Without Photoshop, it would be more difficult to make a beautiful, unique picture. Sometimes it can be used as a tool for an artist or photographer. 

Photoshop can be both good and bad. I think it's good that it can make images more creative and beautiful, but I don’t think it's necessary to alter the way people look. Photoshop is just an app and it's the person using it that can cast it in a negative or positive light. I also hope people realize that not every picture they see is real, I think that could help too. 

Have you ever used photoshop? 

Do you think it should be banned? 

Sources: 

https://www.bwillcreative.com/what-are-the-effects-of-photoshop-on-society/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I haven't ever used photoshop that I can remember but I have used filters. I don't think that it's a problem that people use it. If they want to use it that's fine it's their choice and their pictures. I don't think that it should be banned since it isn't hurting anyone. 

• I agree, it isn't hurting anyone as long as people use it the right way

• I have used photoshop before for a school project. I would never use it on my self, i think thats just stupid. I dont think it should be banned for like photoshopping compnies, but just for an instagram post? no that needs to be banned. or using it on women for ads? also no needs banned.

• No, I do not think that it should be banned. I do not think that it does anything wrong. Personally, it does not bother me any. I do not know how to use it though. I have also never seen anyone use it. I feel like it would be a good thing to be able to know how to use.

• Photoshop does not bother me at all and I do not think it should be or will be banned by the government. I have never used photoshop but I do know people that use it to make funny pictures. I have never seen someone use photoshop to try to trick someone with it. I do not think it would ever be banned.

• I agree, I don't think it will ever be banned because many people only use it to make the photo look a little better.

• I think photos being photshoped are okay and are not going to get banned, I have never photo shoped a picture but i have heard and saw people photo shop images either of their own or for somebody else usally it is so they look good in phtoto.

• I do not used Photoshop and I don't really plan on starting to use it on pictures of myself. I don't think it should be banned on like social media, but I do think things that can be historical or make people lots of money should be banned. I think it can alter a lot of things and it should have its limits.

• I have never used photoshop but I don't think it should be banned. I think it is very useful for photographers and other professions, there are some situations where it shouldn't be used especially when people change the way they look. 

• I agree, it can be very useful for photographers.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker