Should Photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is an app that can alter photos so that you can make them look just how you want them to. Most advertisements and influencers usually use photoshop to make their pictures look even better in hopes that it will bring them more customers or followers. Unfortunately, sometimes this has a negative impact on people, so should photoshop be banned?

Photoshop is used to make any imperfections in your picture perfect. But then that altered photo is passed off as the real thing without many people even noticing. For example, if a company photoshops the model to have smoother skin, it might make someone feel insecure about themselves. About 99.9% of photos seen online have been photoshopped in some way. That means that most of these pictures are not the real copy, and there are more perfect photos that people might compare themselves to. 

Although photoshop can have a negative effect on people, it can also be positive. It allows artists to be more creative. Photoshop isn’t always used to create unrealistic standards, many times it is used to make a more unique design. This can bring joy to artists and might even bring in more customers for businesses.  Without Photoshop, it would be more difficult to make a beautiful, unique picture. Sometimes it can be used as a tool for an artist or photographer. 

Photoshop can be both good and bad. I think it's good that it can make images more creative and beautiful, but I don’t think it's necessary to alter the way people look. Photoshop is just an app and it's the person using it that can cast it in a negative or positive light. I also hope people realize that not every picture they see is real, I think that could help too. 

Have you ever used photoshop? 

Do you think it should be banned? 

Sources: 

https://www.bwillcreative.com/what-are-the-effects-of-photoshop-on-society/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think it should be banned. I feel that it doesnt hurt anything. Theres not a legit reason to ban it. I have never used photoshop. Good topic. 

• Personally, I have never used photoship. However, I don't think it should be banned. Many photographers use photoshop to make the pictures look better. You can use photoshop for beneficial purposes as well. People just need to know that not everything they see on the internet is real.

• I agree, I think photographers use it to help make their pictures look better but not alter the way people look. 

• I have never used photoshop and probably never will. i dont know why people need to look different on camrea because its then a whole different person in person. i dont think it needs to be banned but i just dont get why people use it

• I agree, it doesn't make sense to change a photo of you because you can't change the way you look in person

• I have never used Photoshop because I don't care. I don't think it should get banned because not everyone that uses Photoshop for their pictures that include their faces, bodies, etc. Some people use it in order to show their creativity through some photos. 

• I have never and probably will never use photoshop, because I don't understand why you would want to waste time making yourself look different. I also think photoshop can be bad, because some people use it to make them look way different than they actually are, and thats not good.

• I have never used photoshop because I don't have the time to worry about what my picture looks like online. I think that photoshop should not be banned because many people use it for creativity. For every influencer who uses it to create unrealistic standards, there are two or three artists that use photoshop for good.

• I personally have never used photoshop. i don't think it necessarily needs to be banned though. i mean people can think it makes them look better, but in reality they shoulde show off their natural beauty. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker