Should passing periods be longer?

Should passing periods be longer? Currently, in Harlan schools the passing periods are 3 minutes long, is that enough? Many kids are late to class due to only having 3 minutes to get to their next class and use the bathroom. Many students abuse passing periods by skipping in the bathrooms and then wanting to be excused. I agree with teachers that if students are going to the bathroom every period they shouldn't have the privilege of longer passing periods.

The kids that responsibly use the bathrooms and don't use it every period should have the privilege of more extended passing periods. But students that are constantly tardy because they don't have enough time shouldn't have consequences. I think passing periods should be 5 minutes long because students usually pack up and get ready about 2 minutes before class ends.

I personally think that passing periods should be longer, it is definitely a good discussion.

https://trojaneer.com/

How long do you think the passing periods should be?

Are 3 minutes enough for a passing period?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the passing period should be 4-5 minutes so we can reduce the amount of people late to classes and skipping classes to go to the bathroom because they didn't have enough time to go in the 3 minutes. I do think that 3 minutes is no where close to enough time to go Strength and Conditioning to Spanish (for me atleast).

• I thinik that the passing period now is rushing a lot of students and they still miss the first couple mins of class. I think that if our school gave us 5 mins for a passing period then it could be enough for all students. Then if there is a line in the bathroom then they will still have time to use the bathroom and still make it to class on time.

• I think that 5 to 6 minutes would be perfect. It's enough time to allow for talking to a teacher or using the bathroom, but not too much time to the point where people are causing problems because they don't know what to do during that time.

• I think that the passing periods should be a little bit longer. You have time to get to your class and that's about it. Then if you have to go to the bathroom or fill your water bottle up you have to miss the beginning of class. I thin they should at least be 4 to 5 minutes. 

• I think that passing periods should be 4-5 minutes, I don't think 3 minutes allows enough time for students to use the restroom and fill water bottles up. I don't have a problem with getting to classes on time but I understand how some kids would. A longer period would allow students to get things done during the passing period instead of disrupting the class during class time. 

• I think that passing periods should be no shorter than what they are right now because I think that only three minutes is pushing it. I think that an ideal length for passing periods is about five minutes, that way it gives students enough time to talk to the teacher(s) from their last class, use the bathroom, fill their water, etc.

• I think 3 minutes are enough to get to class but when you have to go all the way across the school its cutting it close to the bell. Although 3 minutes is just enough to get to class, you wouldnt have time to stop and go to the bathroom or refill your waterbottels. A lot of teachers complain about kids getting up and going to the bathroom or filling their waterbottels so I think a longer passing period would decrease class interuptions. 

• In my personal opinion, I believe that passing periods should be around 5 minutes. I think that a passing period any longer would cut into the day by too much and lead to behavioral issues. I also think that 3 minutes is too short to get to the class and go to the bathroom or whatever else you would need to do.

• i feel that the passing periods should be longer as students will use the passing periods to use the bathroom and get into the habbit of using the passing period to go to the bathroom. i dont think three minutes are long enough for passing periods.

• Yes they should be longer than they are. I think passing periods should at least four or five minutes so we have more time to use the bathroom and over all do not have to rush to class. Also the teachers always are mad when we are late to class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker