Should Medical School cost less?

$250,000 to $331,000 in total and $25,000 to $55,000 in tuition! How much are you willing to pay for an education in your desired future pathway? Medical schools are one of the steps in medical education needed to become an anesthesiologist, physician, or surgeon. There are many people in the world with a passion for helping those who need medical attention however they can not afford to pay for medical school. Many people struggle to pay their debt off. In fact, many have to work to pay it off after they graduate, not to mention that there is a shortage of medical assistance in hospitals across the world. 

Medical Schools have become more expensive over the years due to an expansion in learning. Universities have become more complex with the materials and technologies being used to teach. Savvy Pre-med stated that “it’s very expensive to train a doctor in the U.S., and it’s only getting more expensive as the field and its technology evolve” Ryan Kelly, 2019.

Debt is often associated with medical school. DressAMed.com explains that 80% of all medical students are in debt. Before medical school, students must take 4 years in an undergraduate/college degree, before proceeding onto medical school. This alone may leave some people in debt. This along with medical school costs can be a lot for people to handle. Most students have $70,000 to $120,000 worth of debt after they graduate. 

America and many other nations around the world are running on a shortage of healthcare professionals. This is all the more reason to encourage people to join pre-med and medical schools. Many people are turned away from the career path when they see how much money it takes to follow the steps. Making medical schools more affordable would be a great way to help draw in more able-bodied people and medically interested people.

I think that the costs of medical school should be dropped. I understand the technology and tuition needed to pay for the materials, the amount of debt owed by our future doctors, and how badly our world needs more care providers, but medical professionals are highly valued and respected persons that our country and the rest of the world need more of. 

What do you think?

Why do you think Medical School costs so much?

Should the cost of Medical School be lowered?

What should the new total cost for Medical School be?

Sources:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/the-short-list-grad-school/articles/most-expensive-private-medical-schools#:~:text=The%20median%20cost%20of%20four,Association%20of%20American%20Medical%20Colleges.

https://dressamed.com/blogs/news/expensive-medical-school-worth-the-debt#:~:text=The%20rising%20costs%20are%20primarily,linked%20to%20medical%20student%20education.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4102847/

https://www.savvypremed.com/blog/why-has-the-cost-of-medical-school-skyrocketed#:~:text=For%20further%20reference%2C%20in%201981,were%20%242%2C761%20and%20%248%2C962%2C%20respectively.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not agree. I am planning to go to medical school and I do not feel like paying $300,000 each year plus the cost of living and a place to sleep. I think that medical schools shoudl lower the cost of tuition. I know that it is not cheap to purchase the materials necessary to teach the next generation of medical professionlas however I thin that those schools can find a way to make the student cost lower. 

• This is a very interesting topic. Thank you for expressing your opinion. If you have good enough grades, to get into medical school. It should be less expensive. For how many people actually make it as a doctor, what is the point?

• I think that it should be free like the healthcare should be free, if a person wants to learn something and they're not exactly wealthy or loaded with money, I mean if someone wants to become a medical professional I think they should have the right to take medical school to help people and it might change the economy but if we give more people job chances than I think we would have not so much a problem in the unemployment section.

• I don't exactly agree. I think that medical school should still cost money I think that the price to take the classes should be lowered. Spending $300,000 a year on just tuition is way too much! I don't think that medical school and healthcare should be free because it would offset the economy too much. I do understand the need for medical professionals, however, I do not think it is worth ruining the economy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker