Should kids be able to pick classes?

Though kids do not like school, should they be able to pick their own classes? There is a lot of controversy if kids pick their own classes they will like school way better and it will set them in the right way with what they wanna do after school. Also it is stated it lets kids have some steam off, they say start with small activities. Then move up to what they wanna do. Most kids want to go to college not into the work force right away, but if they offer classes that are in college most people will not want to go to college because they have already did it in highschool. People think that math is useless in highschool because you will never learn it in life, that is why people wanna pick the classes they want to do after highschool.

A lot of people say that if school changed which they can pick there own classes many people would be happy. Also kids would have more responsibility and freedom. Also it leads students to want what they wanna do, if they don't wanna do that subject they can change to try something else before getting college. I also think that it could screw up some college places because no kids will wanna go to college because they have already did it in highschool. The school we have right now is also stressing kids out because they feel there is no point to Science,English,Math,etc.

I personally think we should be able to pick classes we want to take because I will need that after school.

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/opinion/columns/guest-column-why-students-should-choose-their-own-classes/article_9b794965-5d99-55c0-9890-fa66d23ce407.html

https://www.teachhub.com/professional-development/2020/12/the-benefits-of-student-choice/#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20myriad%20of,students%20are%20involved%20and%20engaged.

Do you think we should pick our own classes?

Do you think colleges would lose money?

Should the government make a change?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it will make poeple work harder.

• Yes, I do think that we should be able to pick our classes outside of the core classes. I think this because it will help us in the future if we take the classes we need now. I don't think we should be able to pick every class because then students wouldn't be prepared.

• I think that kids should be able to pick their own classes. Each kid has different likes and dislikes and if they are put in a class they dont like then it would not benifit them. I also think that kids have different interest and should be able to choose them if they want. 

• I think that the way that we pick our classes now is working just fine. We are required to take certain classes, but we also have the freedom to choose 3-4 classes per semester that we know we will enjoy. If students got to pick all of their classes, it could lead to them not being prepared for the workforce.

• I think the system we have for high schoolers and middle schoolers now is just fine. At the end of each school year, each student gets a little freedom to choose any extra classes they want to take from home education to current world issues. I have always enjoyed picking my extra classes.

• I agree and disagree, I still think we should be able to pick all of our classes.

• I think that they should be able to pick their own classes because some students only try in the classes they want to. I like how Harlan gives up the option to chose classes for the most part. I do not think colleges would lose money cause I know some schools dont let people pick classes. 

• I defiantly agree students should be able to choose their own classes. If students are not able to select their elective courses then they will not try and more than likely fail the class or be disruptive in class. You are also able to choose courses that will help you in your future career. 

• I agree. I think kids think there is no point to classes.

• i think that an educated society would be better if it means going to collage or not.there are nessecary scooling like english and grammar math and some science. i think that unless you argoing into book writing you should only get / be enforced to learn nessecary english skills like how to speak and write and prper grammar. then take this theory and apply it to all studies like math history science and pe.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker