Should Homeless People Have Pets?

Should homeless people have pets? Homeless people don’t have homes, barely get food for themselves, and are overall unstable. How do they provide for their pets? Wouldn’t it be easier for them if they gave up the pet and saved up money for themselves to start getting stable. They get about $20-$60 a day in larger cities. Imagine how much money they get in smaller cities. Some homeless people spend that money on drugs and not on actual useful things.

Pets, like dogs, provide protection for the owner when they are sleeping. They also give the owner warmth when it is cold outside. Some pet owners that are homeless feed their pets before they feed themselves, but most don’t. Some of them don’t care about the pet’s health. For some people pets are a source of protection, companionship, and unconditional love. Pets cost about $700-$1,100 per year. That’s a lot of money for homeless people since they make about less than $52,000 per year (with disability and other factors). Most homeless shelters don’t allow pets in due to the fact of allergies. So where would the pet sleep if the owner is in a shelter? Some pets get snuck into the shelter, but others aren’t as lucky and are left outside the shelter. 

Personally I think that homeless people should have pets if they are able to take care of them. If they don’t think they have enough money or supplies to keep their pet healthy then they shouldn’t own one. There are also the homeless people who had pets before they were homeless. I think that those people shouldn’t give up their pet because their pet could enter a stage of depression due to being given up on.

Questions: 

Should homeless people have pets?

Should pets be allowed in all shelters?

Sources:

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/07/06/the-truth-about-homeless-people-and-their-pets-you-need-to-know/

-https://invisiblepeople.tv/analyzing-the-benefits-of-pet-ownership-among-homeless-people/

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-own-a-dog-or-cat-in-2021/#:~:text=The%20average%20cost%20of%20owning,animals%20typically%20eat%20more%20food.)

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/homelessness-homeless-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally don't think homeless people should have pets because its not fair to the animal they won't be able to get the recourses they need. If a person can barely pay for themselves then they won't be able to pay for another thing. I understand its nice for homeless people to have a pet and it could protect them but at the same time thats not the pets job. Pets deserve a home and food and warmth and I know people do too. 

• I see why you think that, but sometimes all a pet wants is a companion and homeless people can give them that. Some homeless people had the pet before they were homeless, so why would they give up an animal they have had for a long time?

• I think it would be nice for homeless people to have pets, because like you stated they can be used for protection, but I feel like it isn't fair to the animal because they barely have enough money to support themselves, let alone the animal. I feel like it would be a lot easier to have a pet if they were allowed in shelters, but most shelters do not allow them.

• I agree that it isn't fair to the pets. It isn't their fault that they don't have a home. Pets should be allowed because sleeping at a shelter with their owner is better than sleeping out in the cold.

• I don't think that it is wise for a homeless person to have a pet, but it isn't wrong. If you're chronically homeless then I don't think it would be smart to own a dog that you can't feed, but if you're just living in your car for a few weeks then I think that it's okay. If a chronically homeless person has a pet, I think that they should look into finding a shelter to take care of it.

• If you can't afford to have the pet, then don't have it, but if the homeless person can take good care of the animal, including food and quality time together, then they should be able to have the pet.

• I think that homeless should consider getting rid of their pet because they barely tend to have food for themselves. However, I feel that pets help keep homeless people hopeful and in a better state of mind. I feel that because pets aren't allowed in homeless shelters there are more people on the streets.

• I can see why you think that, but all some people need is a companion. Not only do the homeless people need that, but so do the pets. 

• I think they shouldnt. But it would be good for there mental health but its sad when you cant afford enough for yourself how are you going to pay for a pet. I dont think pets should be allowed in shelters because there forced into a cage for 24 hours out of the day. I think they need to make the shelters better for the dogs.

• I think that homeless people should not have pets uless they can support theirselves first. It would just be abuse to not give a pet everything that it needs to survive, and to survive well. Maybe allowing pets in shelters isn't too bad unless the allergies get too bad for others, and so the pets can get care.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker