Should Homeless People Have Pets?

Should homeless people have pets? Homeless people don’t have homes, barely get food for themselves, and are overall unstable. How do they provide for their pets? Wouldn’t it be easier for them if they gave up the pet and saved up money for themselves to start getting stable. They get about $20-$60 a day in larger cities. Imagine how much money they get in smaller cities. Some homeless people spend that money on drugs and not on actual useful things.

Pets, like dogs, provide protection for the owner when they are sleeping. They also give the owner warmth when it is cold outside. Some pet owners that are homeless feed their pets before they feed themselves, but most don’t. Some of them don’t care about the pet’s health. For some people pets are a source of protection, companionship, and unconditional love. Pets cost about $700-$1,100 per year. That’s a lot of money for homeless people since they make about less than $52,000 per year (with disability and other factors). Most homeless shelters don’t allow pets in due to the fact of allergies. So where would the pet sleep if the owner is in a shelter? Some pets get snuck into the shelter, but others aren’t as lucky and are left outside the shelter. 

Personally I think that homeless people should have pets if they are able to take care of them. If they don’t think they have enough money or supplies to keep their pet healthy then they shouldn’t own one. There are also the homeless people who had pets before they were homeless. I think that those people shouldn’t give up their pet because their pet could enter a stage of depression due to being given up on.

Questions: 

Should homeless people have pets?

Should pets be allowed in all shelters?

Sources:

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/07/06/the-truth-about-homeless-people-and-their-pets-you-need-to-know/

-https://invisiblepeople.tv/analyzing-the-benefits-of-pet-ownership-among-homeless-people/

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-own-a-dog-or-cat-in-2021/#:~:text=The%20average%20cost%20of%20owning,animals%20typically%20eat%20more%20food.)

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/homelessness-homeless-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you, pets should be allowed in shelter unless there is someone with any allergies, but I think that homeless people should have pets if they know that they are financially stable enough to give that pet food and water.

• I think homeless people should have pets. The thing that would be hard is to take care of the pet. They would have to work harder getting food for themselves and the pet. I think the pets should be put into a pet shelter in order to recover.

• I think if they should have pets that they need to have a home and can feed them meals and water everyday. No pet should have to go through what they are going, the pet didnt do anything to be treated like this and to not have a good life.

• I think they should have pets but they need to able to take care of them. I think pets should be allowed in shelters unless people have allergic reactions, I also think people should be able to have pets because maybe they are depressed and need some help.

• I agree, if they can't take care of their pets then they shouldn't have any. I also think that pets should be allowed in shelters because they could be scared that their owner isn't with them.

• This topic is hard becasue we dont know what others are going through. Also I dont feel like we have a right to tell people if they are worthy of owniung a pet. Its there life. And just because people are homeless doesmnt mean they cant afford or take care of a dog. I think if a homeless person found a homeless dog they should have every right ot keep it. 

• This is a hard topic, I understand both sides of the argument. Pets do protect homeless people while they're sleeping, also I feel that pets could also be comforting as a homeless person, because the pet is always by your side. If that makes sence. Anyway on the other hand, If a homeless person gets money they should spend it on themselves to get food and keep themselves heathy, and when there is limited money and they need to stay alive, there wont be enough money for dog food or any other pet food. Though they can feed the pet scraps, that still isnt that healthy for the animal. 

• I think that if the homeless person doesn't prioritize their pet then they shouldn't have one. Some homeless people use the money the get for drugs and not for food for themselves or their pet. I agree with your last sentence.

• I can understand both sides of this arguement. I think pets can be helpful for them so they can have a companion and protection, but I also think they need to make sure they can take care of the pets and themselves. I also think it would be fine if there were pets in shelters. 

• I think that it should be the homeless persons decision, some of them may not be able to give proper care to their pet but I also think some of them need a companion. A pet would help the people not feel so alone and if they are able to provide for that animal then its totally up to them wether they should have a pet or not. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker