Should Homeless People Have Pets?

Should homeless people have pets? Homeless people don’t have homes, barely get food for themselves, and are overall unstable. How do they provide for their pets? Wouldn’t it be easier for them if they gave up the pet and saved up money for themselves to start getting stable. They get about $20-$60 a day in larger cities. Imagine how much money they get in smaller cities. Some homeless people spend that money on drugs and not on actual useful things.

Pets, like dogs, provide protection for the owner when they are sleeping. They also give the owner warmth when it is cold outside. Some pet owners that are homeless feed their pets before they feed themselves, but most don’t. Some of them don’t care about the pet’s health. For some people pets are a source of protection, companionship, and unconditional love. Pets cost about $700-$1,100 per year. That’s a lot of money for homeless people since they make about less than $52,000 per year (with disability and other factors). Most homeless shelters don’t allow pets in due to the fact of allergies. So where would the pet sleep if the owner is in a shelter? Some pets get snuck into the shelter, but others aren’t as lucky and are left outside the shelter. 

Personally I think that homeless people should have pets if they are able to take care of them. If they don’t think they have enough money or supplies to keep their pet healthy then they shouldn’t own one. There are also the homeless people who had pets before they were homeless. I think that those people shouldn’t give up their pet because their pet could enter a stage of depression due to being given up on.

Questions: 

Should homeless people have pets?

Should pets be allowed in all shelters?

Sources:

https://www.fredvictor.org/2019/07/06/the-truth-about-homeless-people-and-their-pets-you-need-to-know/

-https://invisiblepeople.tv/analyzing-the-benefits-of-pet-ownership-among-homeless-people/

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/heres-how-much-it-costs-to-own-a-dog-or-cat-in-2021/#:~:text=The%20average%20cost%20of%20owning,animals%20typically%20eat%20more%20food.)

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/homelessness-homeless-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, it should be the homeless person's decision because only they know if they can take care of the pet or not. Some of them don't get as much money as others.

• I think it should be up to the person. They know if they're able to take care of the animal/pet. If they don't have the money to fully take care of the animal then they shouldn't own it. A lot of homeless people tend to pick up animals that don't have a home, and they try to take care of them to the best of their ability which I think is a good thing.

• You're right. Only the person that owns the pet knows if they can take care of it. If they don't think they have enough money to take care of it, then they shouldn't.

• I think its hard for homeless people because they feel so alone so they want to get a dog, but animals are expenssive. I think they should be allowed pets because ive seen many videos and such of homeless people treating their dogs like equals and giving them everything they can. The only problem would be if the homeless person gets a job the persons at the job all day and the dog is alone on the street. I think it makes the homeless persons life a little harder but im sure homeless people know that and they risk it anyways to not be alone. 

• I agree animals are expensive. It can be very hard for the homeless person to provide for their pet. I've also seen many videos on social media where homeless people take care of their animal more than they do to themselves.

• I think homeless people should be allowed animals as long as they have the money for them. If they are going to spend the money elsewhere they shouldn't own a pet, they need food, water, and shelter as well. I think pets should be allowed in all shelters. 

• I think you're right because if someone doesn't have the money or resposibility to own a pet, then they shouldn't. Pets should be allowed in all shelters because some pets get seperation anxiety whenever they are away from their owners.

• I think homeless people should have pets or they will be able not be able to have a companion and they'll be alone. I believe that as long as you can take care of it you should be able to have a pet but as long as you take care of it because if you take care of it then it should stay with the person longer.

• That is exactly how I feel. If they can't take care of their pets, then why have them? It'll just make their pets suffer more.

• I think that if a homeless person has a pet or wants one, they should be able to have one. However, I would not reccommend people just giving homeless people pets. Though the pets may suffer, it is nice to have a companion.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker