Should High School Athletes be Drug Tested?

Did you know, nationally 38% of schools drug test their students who are participating in sports. There are many people who would like to see high school athletes tested for performance enhancing drugs and other drugs. There are both pros and cons of athletes being randomly drug tested. I will present pros and cons on both sides of the debate.

The people that are in favor of drug testing make several arguments. First of all, many people believe that drug testing athletes would make it more likely for the games to be fair. A study showed that 16% of the students who knew they were going to be tested admitted to doing illegal drugs 30 days before. However, in schools that didn’t have drug testing 22% of athletes admitted to having taken drugs in the last 30 days.  This is showing that it might make an effect on the athletes and urge them to stay away from drugs if they know they might have a random drug test, and potentially get caught. 

On the other hand, many people believe drug testing these high school athletes is a bad idea. Some reasons would be; it might not feel fair for them because they might feel like they are being singled out. Many people could make the argument that it wouldn't be fair if only athletes get drug tested, not members of other extra curricular activities. Athletes may also argue that it violates their right of privacy.

I think that both sides have good points and both make good arguments. I personally think randomly drug testing athletes should become more often done. I feel like this because it would cause the athletes to stay away from illegal drugs and all together make sure the game is, for the most part, fair. I also only think these tests should be done once every month or two, unless a player is showing signs of drug use. 

Do you think highschool athletes should be drug tested? 

Do you think this would violate athletes' right of privacy?

If we test athletes, should we test club members, band members, etc?

Sources:

https://classroom.synonym.com/pros-cons-drug-testing-schools-5082648.html

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/blog/high-school-athletics-and-drug-testing/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that high school athletes should be drug tested, due to a reason called probable cause. I think this would violate the athletes privacy becuase what they do at home may not want that to be public. If they did test athletes they might as well test evryone in that school, it just wouldnt be fair. 

• if there is some suspicion the athleat has been using drugs steroids whatevedr then i feel it would be a good idea to test them. if there is no suspicion and they still drug test them for no reason that would be vilating their privacy as there was no suspicion. i also belive the same should be for other extracaruiculer activite participants.

• I think that high school students shouldnt be drugged tested. I believe doing that is gonna make them quit but at the same time do it. I also think that it does violate the athletes rights. I belive if you do test sports I believe that everyone should be tested.

• I don't think that athletes should be drug tested. I think that this would be a violation of the athletes privocy. The only time I think it would be appropriate to drug test an athlete is if they arn't preforming like normal. I think if schools start drug testing athletes, they should also test other extracurricular activities in an effort to keep everyone away from drugs. 

• I don't think that highschool athletes should be drug tested. I feel that the only reasons a highschool athlete should be drug tested is if you notice something off about them. Testing without reasoning is like an invasion of privacy, no one likes their privacy invaded. 

• I personally don't think that highschool athletes shouldn't be drug tested. I feel when people say my body my choice then this is one of those cituations. I feel if they are showing a major difference in how they perform then maybe test them. If they do need to get drug tested then I think every extra curricular activity should get drug tested.

• I think that athletes should be drug tested only if the have a reason to or see suspiciousness in them I personally think that drug testing them is violating privacy but if you find a good reason for them to be drug tested then I think they have all the right to test them.

• I think that high school athletes should not be drug tested. If the student was average and then started skyrocketing and doing 100x better wheter it's speed, agility, power, etc then the student should be tested.

• I think that highschool athletes should not be drug tested. I think that they should only test if the person is doing better and if they have evidence they should test because not everyone are doing drugs.

• I think that highschool athletes shouldn't be drug tested unless they have the evidence that it is happening. I do feel it is an invasion of privacy to the athletes, especially the ones that aren't doing drugs. However, if there is solid evidence of any student doing drugs authority should have the right to get individuals tested. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker