Should High School Athletes be Drug Tested?

Did you know, nationally 38% of schools drug test their students who are participating in sports. There are many people who would like to see high school athletes tested for performance enhancing drugs and other drugs. There are both pros and cons of athletes being randomly drug tested. I will present pros and cons on both sides of the debate.

The people that are in favor of drug testing make several arguments. First of all, many people believe that drug testing athletes would make it more likely for the games to be fair. A study showed that 16% of the students who knew they were going to be tested admitted to doing illegal drugs 30 days before. However, in schools that didn’t have drug testing 22% of athletes admitted to having taken drugs in the last 30 days.  This is showing that it might make an effect on the athletes and urge them to stay away from drugs if they know they might have a random drug test, and potentially get caught. 

On the other hand, many people believe drug testing these high school athletes is a bad idea. Some reasons would be; it might not feel fair for them because they might feel like they are being singled out. Many people could make the argument that it wouldn't be fair if only athletes get drug tested, not members of other extra curricular activities. Athletes may also argue that it violates their right of privacy.

I think that both sides have good points and both make good arguments. I personally think randomly drug testing athletes should become more often done. I feel like this because it would cause the athletes to stay away from illegal drugs and all together make sure the game is, for the most part, fair. I also only think these tests should be done once every month or two, unless a player is showing signs of drug use. 

Do you think highschool athletes should be drug tested? 

Do you think this would violate athletes' right of privacy?

If we test athletes, should we test club members, band members, etc?

Sources:

https://classroom.synonym.com/pros-cons-drug-testing-schools-5082648.html

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/blog/high-school-athletics-and-drug-testing/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, they do need to realize if they decide to play at college they will have to face things like that. I understand why people wouldn't drug test fine arts, band, etc. 

• I think that testing highschool athletes should be allowed with regulations. I don't think that it is invading their privacy because they chose to play the sport and they should know that the sport will take drug tests. I don't think that testing others other than athletes is okay because they can't do anything with drugs to enhance their performance.

• I don't think that atletes should be drug tested. I think that if they are drug tested they should only do it every other week. I think it does violate some privacy. Some kids are hiding things but may take the advatage for sports. I do think that we sould test others if we test athletes because it is unfair if we dont. I think we should not drug test anyone that will take up too much time.

• I think that high school athletes should be drug tested. There are many drugs that athletes can take that can enhance their performance during a game or sport. I think that if people will start testing people, athletes will stop using drugs. Athletes should not be using drugs because drugs can greatly affect how a person acts and feels. Drugs could also harm that person. 

• I think that athletes should be drug tested because while playing a sport drugs can cause people, especially people who are not fully grown or their brains haven't fully developed, to act differently or more violently. This is not violating their privacy because it's something that's illegal either way so they shouldn't be taking drugs anyway. Playing a sport is not the same as being a band member or being part of a club so a drug test wouldn't be as important in those extra-curricular activites. 

• I feel that random drug tests should be mandatory there are way too many people who take drugs in high school and get away with it. I also think that drug tests should be for everyone who does some sort of sport.

• I agree, it would help the games be more fair. I also think that it should be for all sports because using drugs can change your performance in any sport.

• I think randomly drug testing high school sports would be good and bad. Some people might like it but others would be mad. I think if we test athletes, they should have to test everyone in any activity.

• I think that if they were to do high school drug test it should be radom so the person doesnt have time to try to clean themselves up. If they start doing drug test this would limit the drugs in the school that are being consumed or traded. I dont think it should just be on student athletes because there are plenty of non athletes who take them.

• I am kinda on the fence about the idea of drug testing kids in sports. There are some good and some bad parts to doing this. A lot of kids do drugs whether that's for fun or to enhance themselves in a sport. By drug testing, you could limit the number of drugs consumed. Doing drug tests could also be unfair due to the only ones taking them are students out for sports. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker