Should Harlan have early outs every week?

Besides a day off of school, early outs are the next top thing for some of a student's favorite days. There has always been an idea and theory that an early out once a week for schools should be mandatory and useful for the school. Some people are for this idea and many others aren’t. Around the world, some schools have early outs once a week. Harlan doesn’t, but should that change?

Some of the pros that would come with a weekly early out would be giving students more time for mental health and homework. I think some teachers sometimes feel like they do not give a lot of homework, but when every teacher for every class gives “a little” homework, it all adds up. Sometimes students struggle to finish it all while trying to balance family, sports, jobs, and more. Giving an early out once a week could be a helpful idea for those who struggle with finding the time. Another pro is when a student is given more time, the school will begin to see overall academic improvement. Schools would see fewer failing grades and better test scores overall. 

The cons of a weekly early out are the problem of the teachers having to plan around it. Some teachers struggle with fitting their longer lessons into shorter days. It also gives students less time in class to retain and learn the material being taught. Another problem is the transportation issue. This could lead to some students being home alone on these days due to parents' work schedules. It also messes with people's extracurricular activities. Some sports may struggle with the once-a-week time change, and it could even mess up game and practice times. 

Overall, I think that the benefits of a weekly early out outweigh the cons of them. I think that the school could see such an increase in grades and scores within the classrooms. I think that it also gives teachers more planning time and more time to spend with their families and friends. 

Do you think Harlan schools should have early outs every week?

Do you think early outs would help students out?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• The difference between Atlantic and Harlan is 6 days. Atlantic has early outs every week and I would rather have early outs every week and have that 6 extra days of school. But the ealry outs would give teachers extra time to plan lesson and grade, Also would give student more time to do work.

• I would love to have an early out every single week, but that's not realistic. They could possibly help students have more time to do homework, and give teachers more time to prepare. But the loss of time every week would add up at the end of the school year which isn't worth it in my opinion. 

• I would dissagree. I think it would be pretty realistic, The schedual between Atlantic and Harlan are only 6 days apart. Harlan is out on 6/19/23 and Atlantic is out on 6/25/23. It is not that big of a difference and Atlantic has early outs every week.

• I would love to have early outs every week.  I don't know if it would help students, but I would like to get out of school earlier than 3. I tink that they give you nice breaks, but I also think that they would add up to have us end later in the year

• I think that Harlan should have more early outs but not every week. At my old school, we had early outs every other week and it was very helpful. It gave me more time after school to hang out with friends or if I had any work on homework. It also helped mentally giving us a break from all the stress we got from school and all of the tests.

• I think Harlan should have early outs. Teachers can do whatever they need to do to prepare and hopefully get home earlier. Early outs could help some kids. Kids that actually do their homework and then the other kids are just gonna do whatever they want since they aren't in school.

• I personally believe that Harlan should have a early out at least once per week. I believe that it will help students be more focued throught the entire week.  Harlan should have a early out every Wednesday. Have the early out in the middle of the week.  

• In my opinion Harlan schools should have early outs every week. I think they would help students manage their time better and they would allow them to not be so stressed and have more time for themselves.

• I agree ealry outs have also given extra time to do homework, get help after school on a early out, and also gives teacher more time to plan lessons and grade. Also gives more free time to spend doing whatever you want.

• I think that Harlan schools should have an early out every week. I think this because it will help students with their self-esteem. I think early outs would tremendously help students take breaks throughout the break.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker