Should Farm Equipment be Allowed on Highways

This time of year there are several pieces of farm equipment traveling from farm to farm on highways. This is necessary for farmers to get their equipment where they need it, but some people claim that farm equipment should not be allowed on highways. 

There are several reasons that highways are essential for farmers to move their equipment on. Highways are crucial for some farmers to move their equipment because some fields are only accessible by highway. It is also difficult for farmers to move their equipment through small areas, and the highway offers a large, and visible area to move the machine along. It can also be dangerous for farmers to move their equipment on gravel due to bad road conditions and little space for other drivers to get by. 

On the contrary, some people claim that farm equipment should not be able to travel on highways. Some believe the equipment travels too slowly compared to the average speed of other vehicles. However, all vehicles traveling below thirty five miles per hour are required to have the reflective, slow moving vehicle sign, and flashing lights visible on the equipment. 

I believe, as long as the farmer is following those laws, it is reasonable for other vehicles to safely slow down, and wait for a good time to carefully pass the machine.

I believe that farm equipment should be able to travel on highways, if their equipment meets the laws. It is vital for farmers to be able to use highways to get to their farms. It is safe for farm equipment to travel on highways if other drivers are cautious of the equipment, and farmers are aware of the machine's size and speed. All in all, both the drivers of the equipment, and drivers of other vehicles, should be safe, aware, and follow the law.

Do you think farm equipment should be allowed on highways, explain?

Have you ever driven farm equipment on a highway?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It can definitly be annoying getting stuck behind slow moving farm equipment, ecspecially when you are in a rush. However, like you said, it is nessasary for farmers to be able to use the highways to move equipment.

• I think that they should be able to drive on highways. It's a way easier way to get from field to field and how much farmers do for us and how busy this time of year is, not letting them drive on highways would cause mayhem. Although it is super annoying to get stuck behind one, they are helping and it's easier for them.

• I think that farm equipment should be allowed on highyways. It is an easier way for them to get around to their field. Although, it is more dangerous for them to be driven on highways due to their large size and not being able to drive as fast. I personally have driven a farm equipment on the highway. It's not my most favorite thing in the world to do but it is an easier way to get around. 

• I agree, I do not love driving equipment on the highway because I know the dangers of it. However, in order to get to some fields we have to do it. So it becomes a necessary task that I try to do safely.

• I think that Farm Equipment should be allowed on the highway. The farming community is a huge part of the American economy. If farm equipment needs to transport to different locations, they should be able to use the roads to transport their equipment from different fields. They are in desperate need of these roads and I think that they should have access.

• I think that farmers should be allowed to drive equipment on the highway. For normal vehicles, it's driving to work but having all these detours that lead you to narrow rough roads. If the piece of equipment meets all the requirements I don't think it would be a problem for them to travel on highways. I haven't driven a tractor on a highway but have ridden in one with my dad. 

• I have not driven farm equipment on a highway, or at all. But I think that farmers should drive on what ever they want to drive on or need to drive on because they help out the world a lot providing food and animal feed and more.

• I agree, farmers provide a lot of resources to the world, and sometimes the least we could do is wait behind them for a short period of time, until we can safely pass them.

• I remember at a drivers ED we had a state patrol presenter and she was talking about someonw passed a tractor in a nopassing  zone and she still caugt up to him and gave him a ticket because he did not care about other people and just passed the tractor putting people in danger.

• People can definetly get and a rush and do not very smart things when approaching farm equipment. I have had people pass me in a no passing zone(going up a hill), and sometimes I should shake my head about it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker