Should Every U.S Citizen be required to vote.

Only about 60% voted for the election and roughly 139 million Americans cast ballots for the 2016 presidential election. There are 333.81 people who live in the United States and not everyone can vote because they are not of age. I think everyone should vote because they can express their vote and then there would be a more accurate vote. 

Many people say that if every citizen voted that everyone's voices would be heard so then people would not complain about who would get in for the presidential election or any other type of election. If everyone voted people would be more inspired to pay more attention to campaigns and current events.

I do think it would be a good thing for everyone U.S citizen to vote but the government would have to force them to vote and then a lot of people would get mad and protest against it and I think it would ruin our country and even tho It would be good to have every U.S. citizen I don’t think it would work but it would be good.

Do you think Every U.S citizen should vote? 

Are you against Every U.S citizen's vote?

https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/election/civics-in-action/voting--should-voting-be-mandatory.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think every citizen should vote. I think the people who dont vote now either dont care, dont pay enough attention to politics, or not of age. If we forced the people who didnt care or didnt pay enough attention, it would make the vote less accurate and less fair. If they HAD to vote I feel like they would just pick one which could throw off the whole thing. If we let the underaged people vote, most of them are just going to put what their parents tell them too, which would also make it unfair. 

• I believe that every US citizen should be required to vote and I don't know why you wouldn't want to have a say in who is elected. I don't know if they will ever make it to where every citizen is required to vote, but if they do I think it will be a good thing because there are plenty of people that fought to be able to vote and now we take it for granted. 

• I think that voting should be completely up to the individual person. Some people do not follow politics as much as some other people. The right to choose what you want to do is the most american thing. 

• I don't think that every US citizen should need to vote. Some people don't have a strong political view, and forcing every citizen to vote would make those who don't care vote for whoever with little to no thought as to who. When the ones who don't care vote it would make it unfair to those who have a strong opinion on who they want for president or whatever position they're voting for.

• I think every US citizen should have to vote and that it's sad some people choose not to. The right to vote was fought very hard for and one of the reasons America was formed because they didn't like not being able to pick and choose who was in charge of their country, 

• I think that it wouldn’t be a good thing for everyone to vote. Some people just don’t care and I don't, people  shouldn't care enough to get mad at whoever becomes president. You can't get mad when something doesn't go your way in our government because you didn't do anything to stop it.

• I think that every U.S. citizen should have to vote. I don't know if it would work and everyone would end up voting, but I think that everyone should vote. If everyone would vote then it could be a more true vote, even though there are some people that wouldn't take it seriously.

• I think that ever citizen should vote because then they have every opion in the world for stuff. I am not against every U.S. citizen voting because I think that everyone has a say in everything in the world. That is what I think about voting for U.S. citizens.

• While I think that every citizen should vote I do see both sides to this debate. not everyone wants to vote but I think they should.

• I personally think that every U.S. citizen should vote, but it is their choice whether or not they want to use that vote. Voting is very crucial when it comes to elections and every vote matters, because your vote can help you get representation in government. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker