Should Concealed Carrying be Legal?

Concealed carrying has been a very controversial topic ever since it was legallized in Georgia in 1976. Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming allow permitless concealed carrying. Meaning that you can buy a handgun and carry it legally without having a special permit. 

Concealed carrying was federally banned in 1813, however, you could carry a weapon for self defense that was not concealed. Such as pistols, rifles, or knives. In 1976, Georgia was the first state to allow concealed carrying of a handgun with a permit. Up until July 1st, 2021, Iowa required a concealed carry permit. After the law passed in Iowa allowing people to buy handguns and conceal them, handgun sales saw an uptick and more people are concealed carrying for self defense.

I personally think concealed carrying, let alone carrying a handgun, should be legal. This also holds true to the second amendment by allowing men and women of the United States to bear arms. The ability to carry a concealed weapon to protect yourself and/or your loved ones in a less than ideal situation, can save lives. However, there are people that would abuse their ability to carry a concealed weapon, giving other people who carry a concealed weapon a bad reputation.

Should concealed carrying be legal? Why?

Should you have to get a permit to carry?

Would you consider concealed carrying in the future?

https://concealedguns.procon.org/history-of-concealed-guns/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, no matter how strict we get, they will always have access to guns.

• I believe it is good to have a permit to carry a gun around with you. My dad always carrys on him while in the city, he also is aloud to do this because of his concealed carry permit. I think if you want to legally carry a gun you are required to take this no matter what.

• You're right, you should. However, in Iowa, we don't need to have a permit for it anymore.

• I think that if it it legal to concealed carry then it should need a permit because I think that if anyone can then there will be bad people who do and needing a permit will lower the amount of bad people who can. I think that I would consider concealed carrying but it also depends on where I live. I feel some places are safe enough that I wouldn't feel the need to but some places I might want to.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker