Should College be free?

Should College be free? 

College affordability is among the top connserns. When the cost of attending college universities, or trade schools is just too high. With the price increasing american students chose not to attend these schools. And leaves them unequipped to find good employment. And attending college leaves you with massive debt that leaves tamper with there abilities to attain at least a middle class lifestyle. 

Ther once was a time when you could attent college for free. The morrill act of 1862 so that higher education could be avaliable to americans. In 2019 the total amount of student debt in american was estimated to be around $1.6 trillion more than 20% higher just a few years before. 

But, Free college can be taken advantage of by joining the U.S Military. But also Military academies is highly competitive adn you also have to agree to attend the service for years after graduation. 

They say that job requirements are going up but families and students cannot afford to go to college and wouldnt be able to pay off the debt. If students could go to college for free then the american dream would be a thing. America need higher educated students. 

Traditional public schools are free to attend. That gets us a high school diploma for free and we'll have no debt on our hands. college should be free because of the higher demand of education in the U.S. 

In my opinion, I believe that college should be free, sudents get to go the high school for free to get a diploma but not a degree in college. Students should have the right to go to college for free. Students deserve the education they want. If college was free then students would be more likely to attend college for further education but they cant due to the cost and debt they will recieve for attending.

Do you think college should be free? why?

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/affordability-college-cost/why-should-college-be-free/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/learning/free-college.html

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/should-college-be-free-5218232

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• For me, as a German exchange student, it is pretty impressive how expensive college is in the US. In Germany, colleges are free or only cost about 300 euros per semester (that's the same in dollar). So, I think that college should definetly be cheaper because then education is accessible for everyone no matter which background they have. 

• I personally do not believe that college should be free. I think that making students pay for their education is a good way of ensuring that the students take their education more seriously. Without the added financial risk of tuition, many more students would not try as hard, and or drop out.

• I think that they should not be free but they shouldn't be as expensive as they are now. I think for everyone to be happy we should reduce the price of college, this will help young adults be able to get on their feet better without having to worry about huge amounts of debt pilling up. 

• I don't think that college should be free, but i do think colleges could lower the prices because for people who don't have lots of money or are in a bad situation at home they might not be able to even go to college. so instead of colleges being free i think that colleges could lower the prices so people who are in bad situations can still go to college.

• I do not think college should be free because what happens if something burns down? Or you need something? where is the money supposed to come from? what if you need something new in the building, the college will take some of that money to fix those things.

• I do not think college should be free, because in the end, its not free. Someone will end up paying for it. If you dont pay for it yourself, tax payers will have to pay, and eventually you will end up paying for it anyway. Also it teaches college kids that they dont need money, that everything will be given to them. 

• Personally, I think that college should be free, but the colleges wouldn't like it, so it should just be put at an affordable, reasonable price that students can pay off relatively quickly after they get their job. Because colleges main objective is to get money from their students, they would not make it free. Instead, we they should be able to charge living cost, but the education is free. This would make it so that the cost would be partly lifted for students.

• If college was free, the money would be coming from the tax payers, which doesn't make sense. I don't think that college should be as expensive as it is, but by going to college, you know what you are taking on. If the government made people pay higher taxes to make college free, many more people would be losing money, and not just the students. Making college free is unrealistic.

• I don't think that college should be free, although a lot of students and people that are out of college are struggling trying to pay off debt, making college free would mean everyone else is paying for it. Taxes would go up and the prices of other things would too.

• I don't think college should be free but for college students struggling it would be good for them, in the end, everyone will still have to pay for it in taxes so giving out free college isn't the answer but should college be cheaper yes college is very expensive.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker